Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Toiletries

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to buy? With this being my first baby I'm not sure what I need apart from the obvious nappies, nappy cream annd wipes.

Replies

• I would say dont buy many products because its sooo easy to see the shelves full of toiletries and buy the lot. all we use on ds is wipes, johnsons all in one wash (does hair & body) and bepanthan (or u could use any nappy cream). we still have 3 bottles of baby lotion, baby soap, talc etc sat on a shelf gathering dust!! youll need nappy sacks, baby sponge, cotton buds (its incredible how much fluff gets between little fingers and toes), baby nail scissors. i hope that is of some help! oh also vaseline is brilliant for a barrier before they pass their meconium as it really is the most awful thing to try and clean away and the vaseline stops it really sticking! sorry if thats a bit yuck! x :lol:
  • I agree, I still have most of the toiletries I stocked up on with dd over two years on. At first we only used water and cotton wool for nappy changes and baths, then johnsons top to toe wash and a ready for bed bubble bath. Bepanthen or metanium for nappy cream, metanium was best but stains fabrics.

Only thing i'm stocking up on this time is wipes, breast pads and nappies, and actually toiletries for us and household stuff like toilet roll and washing powder so it's cheaper when i'm on leave (i'm the breadwinner unfortunately).

Never heard the vaseline tip before, excellent idea!
  • Agree no need for loads of lotions and potions, we have things we've never used because they came in a kit sort of thing we got. At first it was just water and cotton wool, then and now we use wipes, johnsons bed time bath, top to toe, sudocrem.
  • I agree with all the other ladies. And all I can add is baby oil or any kind of baby massage oil if you intend to do baby massage. X
  • baby oil is great to shift cradle cap too actually -if u rub it on about 15 mins before bathtime then wash it off it really helps lift it off. altho im pretty sure i got a small bottle in my bounty pack in hospital. x
  • G/C but avoid the urge to buy baby toiletries other than the obvious nappies, wipes and nappy creams (sudacrem/bepanthen). Newborn skin is highly sensative and you should be washing them with luke warm water alone for the first few weeks (avoiding bathtime completely until the cord has fallen away). For the same reasons any clothes should be washed with non-bio for the first two years.
  • we have stocked up on household toiletries to keep the cost down whilst im off work, we use cotton wool pads rather than cotton wool balls they leave less fluff. got loads of wipes nappies and sacks as well. other than that we will just buy as we need it as son reacted to johnsons bath stuff but was fine with tesco and asda. we were told to use olive oil on cradle cap, it works brilliant and is natural rathere than synthetic.
  • Thanks for your advice ladies.