Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Telling people

Hello everyone,

Just wondering when you are all planning on telling? I have had to tell my boss because of nature of job - to risky. Because I have been restricted most colleagues have guessed but have had the tact not to ask and I havent announced. ( they just keep asking how i am lol)

Because I have had to tell work it seems so wrong not telling my mum and dad so I am doing that today. My mum was brilliant with the mc and I was glad I had told her last time for her support so if anything were to go wrong this time I would want my mummy! 

other than that am not telling until I have had scan x x

Replies

• Options
    I've told my mum (who screamed in excited) and my best friend. I'm want to tel my dad and stepmum and hubby's mum now too but hubby wants to wait until the scan then tell every1. I can cope not telling every1 but I really want to tell our parents. Hopefully I can twist his arm. Just being nosey, but what do u do? Sounds almost police? (my cousin and his wife are) x
  • Options
    You guess right! Guess I will be doing everyone's paperwork now. Miss being out amd about already but can't be helped and wouldn't swop this for anything. I'm sure you can twist your dhs ARM. If you have have one parent I guess its fair you tell the others. Can't wait to tell my mum now. Am excited! X x
  • Options
    Lol my cousins wife was the same, straight on desk duty when she found out. Guess it will take the pressure off a bit, ie sickness, further on u get. I'm working on it, wouldnt be until the weekend so we are both there. X
  • Options

I was driving to work this morning and thought I would post  asking when people were going to tell other people and just logged on in my lunchbreak and noticed you have beat me to it Blue Star! 

So far we have only told my sister.   Thinking of telling our respective parents however mine are away on hols for the next 2 weeks so will have to wait to tell them (although it is good in a way bcus my mum is soooooo bad at keeping secrets and I know she is going to be unbearably excited!).

Really need to tell hubby's parents as his mum is a nurse at my GP surgery and I have my midwife booking app next Thursday so really need to tell them before just in case she sees me heading into my appointment with the midwife, don't really want her finding out like that!

Absolutely terrified about telling my boss!!

Em xxx

• Options

I've had to tell some random people so far! Estate agents, x-ray person and lady altering my bridesmaid dress! No-one else though?!
    We have a scan next week and plan to tell my sister, parents and hubby's parents next Saturday when I'll be 8 weeks. Intend to swear them to secrecy though until after 12 week scan and over first trimester scary part.

Am also freaking out about telling work - my boss will go mental (not in a good way)!!! Hoping to put that off until after June Bank Holiday weekend, symptoms and bump permitting! They'd never guess fortunately as no-one knew we were TTC.

• Options

Ahh, so glad there's a thread about this! I feel like everyone knows already!!

Ok so, like BlueStar, I work in a high risk job (prison) and would obviously want to be off contact but as soon as a woman of child bearing age is taken off timetable, EVERYONE knows. Fortunately, due to reducing my antidepressants, I have been signed off for 4 weeks so hopefully people aren't guessing yet and I have a week of annual leave after that so will, all being well, be 9½ weeks when I return to work off timetable. So, at work the HR dept know, the ladies who sort out teachers to cover me know, my 3 managers know and the teachers on my team! So, feels like loads of people!!

Away from work we have told my parents, 2 of my best friends and hubby's best mate. We're not telling hubby's parents until further along because it's early days and my parents are very realistic. Hubby's mum would just get too excited and I couldn't cope with that this early on. We'd have a nursery fully kitted out by the end of the week, lol! Also, one of my best friends isn't being told yet. I love her to bits but she cannot keep a secret to save her life and we have a lot of mutual friends.

So, in the land of DottysBird, a heck of alot of people know already! But, as one of my friends said, if something went wrong, these are the people we'll need the support from anyway.

xxx

• Options
    I've so far only told my old DIS10 friends....I'm still only 4+2 so really early days still....the temptation to tell everyone is there but I think ill hang in a few more weeks just to be sure xx
  • Options
    I've just told ladies on our fb forum but think we need to tell in laws as we're going on holiday with them next week, but then I should tell my mum as well. X
  • Options

Im telling my boss tomorrow. Im a teacher but they want me to play in the netball tournament- staff vs kids- after 2 losses I dont want to take any risks.  Not told anyone else, hooing to hold off till early scan but not sure if i can wait that long to tell my mum. She knew we were having clomid treatment so feel wrong not to tell her.

• Options

It sounds like I told loads of people when I say all my family and friends know but my family is tiny and I don't have many friends but they are the best I could ever ask for! My boss knows too because I was signed off and thought it was better to tell him the truth, to everyone else at work I had a virus!    

I agree with Dottysbird and think that the people I have told have been there through my treatments and I know they will always be there for me.

I think it's time for bed as now I am feeling all mushy towards my family and friends!! image 

• Options

We have told close family and a couple of friends,plus our bosses, but they are all sworn to secrecy! We'd like to wait until the 12 week scan to make it public but I'm not sure I can last that long!

I agree that if anything did you wrong, I'd need the support of my family and friends so it's important that a few people know. x

• Options
    So far the ladies from BID 10 know and my friend. Hubby thinks noone knows. I am torn between telling mum and sil. With ds a couple of my friends knew and noone else. We announced after scan. With mc a friend knew. I had an awful time - 8 days until I ended up with surgery for suspected ectopic. So we had to tell family and friends for support. That was awful as noone knew we were having a baby so were shocked that I was losing it. This time I'm confused. I'd like to wait until my 12 week scan as I'd hate to disappoint family by losing another baby. Sorry I'm not phrasing that correctly. They'd be happy and excited for us so would hate to say it failed again. I think from posting this I'd rather wait and hope to give them happy news at 12 weeks. If it all goes wrong ill tell them then for the support. No right or wrong answer in my mind, just depends what ur happy with xx