Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Telling immediate family this weekend

We're telling my sister & her fianc?? today and telling my parents via Internet-link (they live abroad). I'm excited but very nervous about my sister's reaction. She's younger than me but I know she wants a baby ASAP & that she thought she'd be the first of us to give mum & dad a grandchild. Really hope she's happy for us! Telling hubby's parents tomorrow. Had planned to do it this evening but they've arranged for us to go out for dinner with their friends so will wait until lunch tomo now! We wish we could have waited until 12-weeks to tell anyone as neither my mum nor hubby's stepmum are very good at secrets?! My sister is getting married in 3 weeks though & Hen Do is next weekend. I obviously won't be drinking and we want to tell them our news, rather than they guess! Wish me luck ladies!

Replies

• Good Luck! sure things will go great! image xx

• Good luck!  We are telling hubby's parents tomorrow as well.  My mum and dad are away on holiday until the beginning of next week so will have to wait to tell them for a couple more days. Slightly worried that my mum will react badly to my husbands parents finding out first (she is a bit like that!) so may have to pretend I haven't actually told them.  A little mean but keeps the peace : )

My mum is also notoriously bad at keeping secrets.  She is going to be so excited I doubt she will be able to contain herself.  She is bound to tell someone which is a little frustrating. Em xx

• Good luck, I'm sure they'll be thrilled for you! I told my dad at 4 weeks - there was no way I could keep it secret from him. FIL knows, and I've told my two best friends, but other than that we're trying to keep it under wraps until we've had the 12 week scan. xx

• Hello ladies!

Went well I think. Sister cried and did say congratulations although she is very keen for it now not to be mentioned until after her wedding (fair enough I suppose).

My mum sobbed with joy! We were a bit worried we'd shocked her too much at one point as she went really quiet (very unusual!) Even hubby had tears in his eyes at her happiness!

In-laws were told when they were all a bit tipsy so reaction was mixed; father-in-law kept saying 'i'm too young to be a grandad', Hubby was annoyed at his reaction and worried he'd upset me but I knew it was just because of the drink. He was happy this morning and pleased for us.

Just got to get through 4 more weeks of secrecy and hope we can trust them all too! image

• Awwww glad it all went well ladies!

Am currently trying to arrange to meet up with my brother and his girlfriend to tell them but they're so flakey it's hard to set a date!!!

My Dad is desparate to tell people! He's so excited!! Although his first reaction was to try and be funny and say "Ooh, I'm going to be a Grandad before I die" - not funny!!! I'm the youngest of 3 (I'm 29, brothers are 32 and 38) and the first to be having a baby. I went for a drink with my parents on Friday and my Dad greeted me by saying "Alright fatty!"!!!!

Lulabelle - my mother-in-law keeps joking about being the last to know as my team at work knew first because I got signed off sick, then my parents and my best friends. We told them the weekend after, so they still found out in the same week!!!!! xx