Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Will you be finding out the sex of your baby?

Hi ladies, I know it's a little way off for us but it's nice to have something to focus on! Will you be finding out at your 20 week scan? We've decided we don't want to but I'm worried I'll cave when it comes to it, lol! xx

Replies

• We didnt with DS and wont be finding out this time either ( unless there is more than one then will rethink). I loved the surprise offinding out what we had had after giving birth. Its not that it gave me an incentive to push harder or anything just that it was a wonderful surprise. I know some ladies says it makes them bond with their bump but to be honest it didnt stop me bonding with my yellow bump.  Its so individual though so aslong as its what you and oh what x x

• I think we are, as DH is desperate to know. We didn't find out with DD and I loved the surprise, but he really wants a boy this time (contentious subject, as I'd love another girl!), so if it is a girl, I think he needs that time to get his head around it not being a boy, if you see what I mean? I've asked him that if we do find out, we keep it to ourselves until the actual birth though.

• Stsarina I get what you mean. I'm sure what ever your having you dh will be delighted but if that's the best way to settle him then I would find out. Then you can enjoy meeting your Lo without worrying what dh is thinking or feeling when the time comes. I wouldn't tell any else either. X
  • We won't be finding out, like Blue Star says it is a nice reward at the end of all that pushing and it makes no difference finding out at 20 weeks or at the birth, it won't change anything.  I find it a little bit weird when people find out, name it and start referring to it by name when they are only 20 or so weeks! xx

• I think it is soooo lovely to have a suprise, it does really appeal to me.

But I think we will be finding out, mainly because I know I would cave at the scan + deep down I think I would like to know. And hubby definitely wants to find out.

I have to agree with Lullabelle83 though I do find it sooo odd when people find out then choose a name and refer to unborn baby as it's name all before it is even born!!! I dont think we will settle on a name until we see little ones face image x x

• We found out with my first (boy) and found out with my second (girl) and I said next time we won't find out, would love the surprise! BUT.... as this one is so soon after our daughter I think we will find out, because there is so much study that could be passed on if this one was also a girl, and also could make a difference to how nursery/dds bedroom is decorated as they will be sharing. So, unfortunately, we probably will find out, it makes sense for us. MyBs
  • Meant to say stuff not study!
  • I'm 20 weeks tomorrow. We found out the sex early due to amnio (we wanted to know at the 20 week scan anyway). Funnily enough we have named him and call by that name too..... Not weird (to meimage ) at all as we did the same with our daughter. People said well what if she doesn't look like a Daisy when she's born.... On this logic the whole world would be called Winston Churchull xx
  • Lol kiwigirl - I couldn't name my baby before it was born, and say the same, what if it doesn't look like a... But you're right about winston churchill! X