Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012

Telling Work

I've got to tell my employer today. Late Friday I had a call to say my haematology appointment (I have a minor blood disorder) is today at 4.00pm. There is no way they'll let me have last minute time off unless they 'have to' so have prepared a letter for the HR lady & managing partner but will have meeting with my boss this morning. I'm absolutely terrified! They aren't going to take the news well. I'm also really upset that I'm having to do this earlier than I wanted (have scan on 30th so was going to wait until next Monday) Wish me luck ladies!!

Replies

• Good luck!  Hope it goes ok.  I am already getting nervous about telling work (think I will probably tell them next week after my scan which is on Monday 28th).  Terrified about telling my boss ekkkk!  Let us know how you got on today xxx

• good luck hope it goes well xxxx 

• Good luck hun. Hope it went well. I had to tell work at 4 weeks because I work in a prison. You get lots of rights as a pregnant lady so don't let them fob you off! xx
  • I went amazingly well. My boss and team leader are both women with children but they also hate people being away from the office.

They were really happy for me though?! image

Advised me against telling HR and managing partner until after my scan next week and they are notoriously bad at keeping things like this quiet and the whole office will know my news, but they are fine with me taking time out for appointments until it is official.

So reassured and just now need to relax about missed miscarriage paranoia that I seem to have developed. Roll on 30th May. Actually, roll on 10th December! image

• Glad it went well hun! That must be really good for you to feel supported at work. Hope this week flies by for you so that your scan gets here quickly! xx
  • Glad it was all ok in the end! x

• glad it went well! ive had to tell my work at 10 weeks because my midwive advised me to take it easy and well i work in a hotel changing lots of rooms over daily and so its hard to take that easy! ever since i told them ive known there the biggest gossips out! so ive had to tell all my family so they dont hear it off anyone else cause thats not fair. each day im in my nanager always asks me what my family thinks and makes sly jokes about me having a bun in the oven.... its begginning to piss me off now! my two bosses also know ( they own the hotel) and the male out of the two has also made jokes... its not on in my opinion and im gutted i had to tell them but lifting big laundry bags etc was going to do damage to me so better safe than sorry.... but on the downside i have comments made at me every day... and when asking to cut my hours from 6 days a week to 5 days i now am getting 3 days a week... so not a happy bunny! only wish every employer was understanding, kept quiet and didnt make comments and ask personal questions abotu what my family think! image ....