Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Dec 2012

Maternity leave

Hi ladies Was wondering if any of u have thought about maternity leave yet ,not reali sure what im entitled too how long are u all thinking of having off x

Replies

• Hello, im intending to take the full year. I will try and work as close to my due date as possible -maybe 2/3 weeks before-im keeping an open mind as dont know how im going to feel.

Either way im pretty sure things will be tight!

x

• Im thinking of Taking 9 months my youngest will start school in that sept so will Only need to sort childcare out for this babba ,childcare is sooo expensive x
  • When I had my first I intended to take the full year off, but when it came to it I didn't want to leave my son at such an impressionable age and felt id be missing too much, milestones and stuff. So ended up taking an extra 6 months, where I worked one day a week. I know I was extremely lucky to have such a flexible employer. I don't think I will want to be off that long this time round though! My daughter is now 5 months and obv I won't be going back to work before I have this baby, but wish I was! X
  • I get 3 months full pay, 3 months half pay, 3 months statutory maternity pay and an optional 3 months unpaid. My intention is to take a couple of weeks annual leave before starting maternity leave (this depends on work as they're trying to reduce our annual leave allowance and the union are fighting it, so if it goes through soon then I'll lose some of the leave I've got left). So, a couple of weeks annual leave, followed by 9 months maternity leave, with (hopefully another 4 or 5 weeks annual leave/ bank holiday entitlement tagged on. It's not plausible for us to take the full year as those 3 months unpaid would require us to save up about ??4000 more! I'm only planning on going back 3 days per week so would rather have ??4k to spend on long weekends away with hubs and baby! image xx
  • We haven't decided yet whether I'll be going back to work (I work PT so don't earn a lot anyway), so the intention is to save my maternity pay and try to just live on hubby's wage for the 9 months and see if we can manage. If we can't then at least we'll have a nice lump sum saved up! 

• I'm hoping to go back after the Xmas 2013 break so a full year if possible. Very much depends on how close to EDD I manage to work as I only have 1 week's annual leave left for this year so maternity leave will start beginning December.

We will save as much as we can but are very lucky that hubby's salary covers all our bills etc whilst mine is just for luxuries like holidays, dinners out, clothes etc - none of which I'll imagine we'll need in the first 12 months! image
  • Awwww I'm very jealous of these bread winning Hubbys, lol! I earn more than my husband so me going back 3 days per week will put our salaries on par, although fair play to him he does a tonne of over time to bump up his wages! image xx