Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010

what time do you put your lo's to bed? wonder if !UPDATED!?

as above really, i wonder if i'm going about this the wrong way and should be putting lo to bed earlier?

I put her to bed at 9.30pm and go to bed too, i'm now wondering if my going to bed with her is some sort of mental thing about not wanting her to be out of my sight? i just see so many posts where people are putting their lo's to bed at 7ish and it never occurred to me how much easier that would make my life in terms of getting on with things like cooking dinner and spending 5 mins alone with my husband! i have a monitor (with one of those sensor mat things) which i haven't even taken out of the box, and to be honest lo does self settle really well normally?

should i carry on with what im doing or try putting her to bed earlier? she normally sleeps on and off during the day, her last sleep seems to finish about 5.30/6pm and just recently she has been screaming the place down after 6pm and being really grumpy?

i feel so pathetic sometimes asking so many seemingly inane questions but its almost like ive lost the ability to make any decisions myself anymore, not sure what i think will happen if i get it wrong because the answer is obviously nothing! :roll:

lo is nearly 6 weeks x

So, put LO to bed at 8 last night instead of 9.30, she was fine and didnt wake for her next feed until midnight, i found it pretty stressful to be honest, we hadnt used the monitor before and unpacked it to find the sensor mat didnt work so just went with the sound monitor, i did keep going to check on her because i found the silence unerrving lol, cant say it was the most relaxed couple of hours ive had on my own but im going to persevere!image

[Modified by: morello on 26 March 2010 12:47:52 ]

Replies

• Hey hun,

I go to bed with Emily at about 10pm. She is usually awake from about 6/7pm until then anyway. She occasionally has a wee sleep then but is usually wide awake. At the moment we are co-sleeping so it is more practical for her to come to bed at the same time as me. In a few weeks i will be moving her into her crib and trying to establish some kind of very loose routine.

Trust your instincts honey and do what you feel is right. There is no right or wrong way to do things, every baby is different and no advice is universal.

Take care x
  • my little man goes to sleep at 8pm on the dot every night lol, its something he has always done since birth so as it is quite a reasonable time ive stuck with it . he sleeps then till around 11,30 when he wakes for another feed. he can quite easily scoff every 2 hrs if I let him lol!

I will say this hun, do it your own way, whatever works for you then go with it. no one is right or wrong everyone runs their family different xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Morello, I'm in the same predicament as you. Corey is sleeping either in our bed (contraversial I know) or in his Moses basket next to me. Although I'm really struggling to get him to settle in his basket, hence sleeping in with us. But we've just been taking him up to bed when we gp up.

I'm now thinking of putting him in his cotbed in his own room (next to ours) and putting him to bed at a reasonable hour (8pm).

Does anyone else's babies sleep in their own room yet? Corey is only 31 days old and I'm wondering if it's too early.

xx
  • Hey - g/c from BIJ. our LO's bedtime was at 10pm-11pm until he was 6 weeks old. We'd bath him at 9pm and then all go to bed (with LO in basket by my side of the bed) afterwards. But at 6 weeks I started to instill a routine and moved his bedtime to 7pm. Within a week he was going down at 7 on the dot and still is. It is really nice having a few hours in the evening with OH or just having time to catch up on chores etc image x
  • I would say do what feels right but one thing i will say is that as the babies get bigger they dont just fall asleep all the time and if they are used to being up till 10pm, it will be harder to get them into bed at a decent hour.

My 2 older kids have been in the Gina ford routine since early on and they are great, At 3 and 4 they are in bed by 6pm-7pm and go down no prob. My friend always put her LO to bed when they fell asleep and at 10-11pm and now they are still up at that time, which is a nightmare!!

its worth it to have an hour to yourself in the evening but go with what works for you

Gemm x
  • gatecrashing from BIJ

we started off putting LO to bed when we went at 10/11pm but as soon as we implemented the bath, feed, bed by half 7 routine he slept much better, i also got to catch up on things and spend some time with hubby,
    will be doing it much earlier with the next baby!

becca and jacob
    11 weeks, 6 days
  • Since she was born I've been putting Kristen to bed between 10 and 11pm. I'd rather put her to bed at a more reasonable hour such as 7 or 8, but unfortunately my husband doesn't get home from work until 6:30pm, so if I put her to bed too early then he wouldn't get to spend much time with her.
  • Since she was born I've been putting Kristen to bed between 10 and 11pm. I'd rather put her to bed at a more reasonable hour such as 7 or 8, but unfortunately my husband doesn't get home from work until 6:30pm, so if I put her to bed too early then he wouldn't get to spend much time with her.

im in the same boat, hubby doesn't get home until 7 so i think im going to try putting her down at 8/8.30 instead of 9.30 and work back from there!