Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010

Does your baby like their carseat and pram?

Dylan doesn't !!!!

I am slowly becoming a prisoner in my own home cos going out and having him screaming his head off is just not worth the hassle. He will not settle in either if he's awake and screams.. Never had this with DD and feel like i've just wasted 500 quid on the pram and car seat!!

Any advice ladies or is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Melissa x x

Replies

• evan loves his and always falls asleep in his car seat and pram. x
  • LOVES her pram but HATES HATES HATES her carseat. She'll sleep in it if we're actually in the car but everytime I go out she screams as soon as I put her in it and doesn't stop until we're on the move... Does Dylan calm down once you're moving? I'm hoping Imogen will grow to at least like the car seat as she's got a long time in it yet and IK'm not buying another one! xx
  • sometimes he calms down, sometimes he screams the whole journey, no matter how long it is!!!

I really hope he grows out of it before the nicer weather comes.

Do you think it's too early to take the head support out of the car seat? he is quite sturdy with his head, it doesn't flop about. He screams as soon as I put his head into the support and will squirm about like he is frustrated

• I think with car seats its the angle. My LO doesnt like his much, he screams but i think they look really uncomfy. He loves the pram tho, but ive got a flat carrycot style so he can lie flat.

MrsTH i would give it a go without the support, its got to be better if he is happier.

Gemm x
  • Do you think it's too early though Gemm with him being only 6 weeks?.

He can lie flat in the pram or I can sit it up slightly, whichever the position, if he is awake, he screams blue murder !!! nothing can settle him, not even a dummy. He falls asleep eventually but I get some awful looks of people who think I am ignoring my starving baby lol !!

Melissa x
  • Personally I'd say take the head support out and try that. As far as I can see the only real reason for it is to make sure their hedas don't flop about and bash against the sides so if there's a comfier way of doing it (I've found that Imogen is happier in her bouncy chair if I put a folded up blanket in before I put her in it as it sort of cocoons her if you know what I mean - maybe this would work for Dylan?) x
  • joseph loves being in his pram and car seat... as soon as i put his coat on him he seems to shut up and within 5mins of bein in either car seat or pram he is sleeping.

he also doesnt have the head support in his car seat, he is much happier without it and his neck is very stable...

hope Dylan settles soon xx
  • If the car seat is huge and babys head flops about i would leave it, bit if, like mine, baby is starting to run out of room, and i will have to take it out soon.

I dont think there is any guidelines??? You could maybe look into it if you are worried

Gemm x
  • I took the head support out of my car seat a week ago when abigail was 4 weeks. The head was fine but her shoulders looked squashed. She has quiet good head control for such a little baby so i gave it a go and she's fine much more comfortable, falls asleep quickly but it's down to the car more then the car seat itself. She likes the pram too, i take her out every day so she can get some sleep (dozes off as soon as we step out the flat). Suppose all babies are different mine does not sleep at home but loves doing so when out. Opposite to yours.
    Sure Dylan will get used to everything at some point.

xxx
  • dylan only cat naps and that is only if he is laid on me, as soon as i put him down he wakes up!!! I've taken the head support out so will see how he gets on with that !!
  • Isabelle hates being put in her car seat and only quiet when we actually and her pram is the car seat and i have a lie flat car seat (jane slalom pro matrix seat) so i dont need to transfer her. Its like a rush out the door and in the car before anyone heres her. Hopefully they will grow out of it which im sure they will hun xx
  • Gatecrashing from born in jan. Our travel system was such a waste of money (for my parents that is, as it was a gift). Monty hates the pram. I'm hoping he'll like the stroller seat when bigger as he'll be able to look around. He doesn't have the patience for the car seat for more than a few minutes - something we only realised on our long trip to Dublin by car for Easter - being stuck in a traffic jam on the M62 was FUN!!!!

However, he adores his sling. Even if he's having a meltdown, as soon as he sees us put the sling on ourselves he practically stops crying! If you are feeling house-bound maybe this might be the solution.
  • imogen doesn't mind her car seat, pram or baby carrier. now the OH doesn't have a company van we are walking places more and i use the carrier and she falls asleep in any of them. As soon as she goes in the car seat she sleeps (must be comfy) and when on the go in the pram she lightly sleeps and sleeps in the carrier ... think i have a sleepy baby lol xx
  • kind of likes the pushchair .............. Hates the car seat.

At 12weeks I kind of hoped he would settle a bit better in the car seat but the truth is we probably dont use the car enough for him to! we only go out in the car at the weekends. he does have big shoulders so it might just be that he is uncomphy!

He is still in the baby coocoon of the pushchair and now is just getting to realising that if he actually looks around instead of winging all the time he can actually see alot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • KatCx3 my baby is Esm???? too!

Esm???? falls asleep straight away in her pram (icandy cherry carrycot) and her car seat in my car (britax 0+) and also the car seat in my parents car (mamas and papas prima viaggio). she likes to me moving i think. saying that i tried her in a baby bjorn carrier today for the first time and she fell straight to sleep in that too!
  • Emily really didn't like her car seat due to her lung problems and being small think it was position. first time we put her in it leaving special care she panicked and cried resulting in her goign a nice shade of blue. we got her home in the end but had a few simular problems with the seat in the end got her the Britac safe sleeper a carry cot car seat, she love sit and we can now get out and about. luckly we had brought the britax system before this any way but solve our problem can honestly say best monet we spent so far
  • Generally baby very much loves prams beause travelling outside but hate car seat because he does not want to sit long time at fix place he is getting bored.