Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Constant feeding!!

My wee spud spent the day yesterday feeding!! He started at 9.30am and literally fed till 2.30pm. He had a break then started again at 5 pm and eventually i had to give him to my oh at around 9.30pm. I had to give him a dummy, which goes against the grain but at least it settled him till 12pm. He did well in the night though and fed at 12pm, 3pm and got up at 7pm.

I cant take ,many more days like that, especially with another 2 kids to run after.

Any one else had this??

Gemm x
Arran 2 wks

Replies

• Around 10 days and again at 14 days old babys have a huge growth/feeding spurt. Bradley did exactly the same and goodness I dont think my bum left the sofa. my other three children were super though bringing me things and being my spare hand lol!

As long as your baby is having plenty of wet/dirty nappies i am sure hes getting enough and is just getting the breast feeding established.

goodluck sweetie, hope this helps xxxx
  • Thanks, thats good to know that im not alone. You would think i would know after having 2 kids already!!! Hes been great today, much more settled and slept a lot today. Hes prob knackered after being awake all day yesterday. Hope i dont pay for that through the night tonight!!

Gemm x
  • Felix had a day like that when my milk came in. He seems a bit more hungry today too and wants feeding every 2 hours instead of 3 but then he isn't feeding properly and I worry he is just grazing rather than getting a proper feed so I am trying to hold him off as long as I can between feeds. Easier said than done though. The majority of the time he sleeps well feeding every 3 hours at night but we had a horrendous night last time! Just hoping tonight will be more settled.
  • Me!!

Adam is the world's hungriest baby! He is only a week old and feeds every hour on the hour, particularly through the night. My nipples are killing me!!

I have also resorted to a dummy as I felt he was probably doing quite a bit of comfort sucking - he is asleep with it now - bliss!!

Not sure how I'm going to cope with the 10-day growth spurt...

Anyway, it's good to know I'm not alone on this one, I was beginning to despair a bit!

Cath
    xxx
  • Felix has started cluster feeding now, he feeds loads during the evening then wakes for feeds every 3-4 hours and sleeps in between at night. I have managed to start feeding him holding him the normal way now and have got sore again but I think its just my nipples getting used to him feeding that way instead of rugby ball style like he was.

I was worried he was comfort sucking too Cath but we tried dummies, putting a finger in his mouth and rocking him etc and that works when he just wants comforting but it doesn't work when he is rooting for food so I don't think he is comfort sucking, just a hungry boy.
  • Yeah, we tried the finger thing and he nearly bit it off! image

It makes me laugh when he roots for food, eapecially when he's doing it on my neck or through my jumper! Bless.

• He was rooting while I was getting my bra un-done and was trying to eat my tummy lol. I love kissing him on his cheek he whips his head round to my mouth!

He loves sucking on our fingers, it really helps calm him down when we are doing something he doesn't like, like changing his nappy or putting him his car seat. It makes such a popping sound when we pull it out he sucks so hard.