Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO Livron - re tongue tie

Hi Livron,

Hoping you get a chance to come on here and see this. I didn't want to hijack your other thread about this, but you had mentioned that you are waiting for a referral for the tongue tie.

I have been told by the hospital staff, comm mw and hv that they aren't going to do anything about it, except for it it causes him to have speech problems when he is older. They did say that it might break by itself, but that it's unlikely that anyone will do anything about it.

Just wondering what you were told about it and if they automatically said they would clip it?

Thanks!

RickiD & Harry 29 days xx

Replies

• Hi

Sorry to hijack this thread. My DD was tongue tied and it was discovered when she was having difficult breast feeding. We were referred to Oldham hospital and she had it cut on Friday just gone. It was a simple 2 second procedure and there was hardly any blood or tears x

If it is causing problems could you look into going private?
  • Thank you for your reply - my understanding was what you have said - that its a simple and quick procedure and tbh I nearly wish they had just cut it when he was born as it was noticed at birth.
    I really don't want to take the chance to see if he does have trouble with his speech, esp as if it was done now he wouldn't know a thing about it.

I'll mention it again at his 8 week check up if he doesn't have any probs between now and then, and if no joy then private may be the answer.

Thanks again xx
  • Hi sorry for delay in replying!! I had difficulty in latching him to the breast so when he was 4 days old i called the midwife out for help & thats when she found the tongue tie, she never mentioned that they might not do it, but another midwife said they would only do it if it was causing me trouble feeding which it was so she said she would refer him or if it caused him probs with speech later, im still waiting on the referal but im sorry to say my milk dried up so he is formula fed, i will not be telling them that as like you i dont want to wait to see how his speech develops or when he's well aware of whats going on!!!!!
  • Thanks Livron, they did tell me that it could cause him to have trouble breast feeding, so that was the last factor in my decision not to - the main one being his birth weight of 12lb 5oz!! I never would have satisfied him!!

Anyway, thats obviously why I didn't get a referral. I will mention it at his check up and see where we go from there.

Thanks again, hope you find out about your referral soon xx

RickiD & Harry 31 days