Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010

6 months approaching!

well the 6 month mark is coming round far too fast!! Just wondering if those of us who havent weaned are going to start at 26 weeks or on the date, and what we are starting with??

Gemm x

Replies

• I have already taken the plunge! We are now on two meals a day - normally baby rice with fruit puree for breakfast and then pureed veg for lunch. Adam is loving it! He opens his mouth really wide for the spoon and makes little 'ah, ah, ah' noises if I don't get the food in quick enough!

He has also had a bit of finger food (toast) before I realised that I wasn't meant to be offering wheat for a while...oops. He loved it though! Grabbed it off my plate and had a good suck on it!

I was quite anxious about weaning (as I am about everything, ha ha!) but Adam is making it nice and easy!

• We've got anothe month to go yet, Alfie's 5months on Friday and as he's not showing any need for weaning early it's not something I've particularly given much thought to yet
  • all i can say is UGH!!! I so cant be bothered lol. I wonder if i could just keep her on the breast until a year and then maybe i would make some food lol!!! Only kidding i will be starting exactly when she is 6 months on the 10th August the HV told me i need to start when she is 6 months but im just so confused as i am still breast feeding her i dont know what meal to start with and what times and do i offer water in a sippy cup aswell and when do i feed her off the breast? Could anyone help? With macey she was bottle fed so pretty simple ish to figure out but im so unsure this time as i want to carry on breast feeding until she dosent want it anymore so i dont want to lose my supply.

I will have to start buying some veg and fruit soon and start mixing it up and freezing it i dont have enough time as it is to sit down so its going to be even less when i have that to do aswell! I will start with carrot, parsnip and so on mush i think we need to get a reciepe thread going!

At 6 months do you offer finger foods aswell? The HV told me to work up to 3 meals a day by 7months so thats 1 meal for a week i spose and add it on.

All so confusing and to much faffing lol! Sorry ive just gone on a major rant there. xx
  • Izzy is 24 weeks on Monday and i am tempted to start but then i get scared as just not sure how to do it! Loving the idea of a recipe thread and maybe some pointers on what meal to start with and when to stop certain milk feeds could be included as weaning makes me go arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Well ive now got some puree pear/apple and potato and carrot in the freezer!!! Did a batch today!!
  • I'm waiting until 6 months as well (16th August or thereabouts). I am so scared of it all! I am also feeling a bit lazy about it all, it is so easy just to whip out a boob and feed her, i can't be bothered with all the faffing about either!

I think i am just scared of the responsibility and what if i do it wrong! x
  • Niamh is 24 weeks today and we are starting properly at the weekend as she has been draining bottles like they are going out of fashion!

When I say properly I mean trying to get some structure to it and sorting out proper times and purees etc!

At the moment I have just been giving her bits of food as and when on a very ad hoc basis. eg at the weekend we are having bacon butties as a late breakfast and she practically swipped the butty out of my hand so we decided to give her abit of toast which she happily sucked on and tonight I was having a jacket potato for tea and gave Niamh bits of it on a spoon which she enjoyed.

I am finding doing it this way ok but there is absoultly no structure about it at all which I know is not good for either of us! Its getting it structured, getting the balance and reducing milk feeds that is really worrying me!
  • LB i know what mean. Ive got 3 kids to get out the door and in a few weeks when i start working i will have6 children to get out the door some days so remembering to pack food and spoons and cups etc, plus having to fit in a boob feed and breakfast is going to be a nightmare!!!!

I decided to work ahead and try and get some puree cubes done now so it will save me time over the next few weeks. I bought 4 pears/4 apples and pureed them yesterday. It was good actually, i started it when the kids were having their lunch then they helped me blend it and put it in the ice cube trays. After dinner i had leftover potatoes and carrots so i chucked them in the blender with a tiny bit of butter and put them in the freezer too. I will get some more pears and some sweet potato, carrots, butter nut squash and turnip through the next week and fire them in as well. That will keep up going for a wee while.

Gemm x