Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is anyone following a routine?

I was just wondering whether any of you ladies were following a set routine, or just letting baby develop their own routine?

I have been demand feeding so far, and Adam generally feeds every three to our hours, but sometimes he can go five hours and sometimes just two. I would quite like my days to be more predicatble (so I can make Drs appointments etc) but am not sure how to go about 'forcing' a baby into a routine?

I have the Gina Ford book, but it seems aimed at BF babies and Adam is FF. It's also scarily strict about what happens when which I find a bit off-putting...

What is everyone else doing?? Does anyone have any tips on how to introduce a routine?

Thank you! :\)

xx

Replies

• Options
    i wouldnt say were in a proper routine but i do wake Nancy up for feeds never let her go longer than 4 hr's during the day and i do try keep her awake more in the day. during the night i keep the lights low, dont make eye contact with her and dont speak to her, its what iv done with my other girls just to try get it in to them that there is a difference during the day and night. at the moment our rouutine goes a little like this -
    7.30am - Nancy wakes i give her a top n tail wash get her dressed, do loads of talking n singing (just to let her know look its morning wakey wakey,lol)
    8.00am she has a 6oz feed
    8.30-9.00am she plays in her cot while i sort my elder 2 out.
    9.00am shes normally back asleep buy then
    12.00pm i normally have to wake her up for this feed,she has another 5/6oz then i try keep her wake for another hr or so.
    4pm she has a feed and this is around the time she gets most awake
    (she will normally stay awake now till her 8-9pm feed)
    7.00pm - we give her a bath
    9pm - she has 6/7 oz at this feed as i do try leave it 5hr since her last feed so shes a little more tiered, doesnt always work though, she sleeps then.
    3-4am - she normal wakes for her next feed she has 6oz then goes stright back to sleep till about 7.30am and it all starts again.
    lie i said it does vary from day to day but this is what we mainly try to stick too.
    id say best way for a routine is find whats best for you and stick to it, i find it quite easy with the older girls as there in a routine they up at 7am go down with daddy, daddy gives um brekfast while i do nancy then they have there lunch at 12, so i make their dinner so its ready for 12 give them that while i do nancy same with tea its at 4 so they having that while i sort nancy they have a bath at 6.15pm on bath nights so there in bed by 7pm and thats when i bath nancy. so on theys it works it does work quite well.
    sorry for waffling, hope this helps in some way. and good look with a routine.
    xxx
  • Options
    Evan seems to have got himself into his own routine during the day and i feed him when he wants feeding - it tends to be 6oz every 3 to 4 hrs. In the evening we started to get him ready for bed at 6.30 and then feed him upstairs with only the lamp on & put him down in his basket for 7pm. We started this 10days ago and he's taken really well to it.
  • Options
    We don't have a routine as yet. I'm breast feeding on demand which is normally 2-3 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I am trying to ensure Corey is in bed by 10pm, although seeing others posts, in thinking this is far too late.

xx
  • Options
    If you want to do Gina i would say its easier with FF babies. I used it with my first from him being 3 days old and he was FF. I love this routine and have found it works really well.

Im trying hard to get my LO into Ginas routine, its much harder having other kids to follow a routine. Im BF so we do sometimes end up way out of routine but i wake him up and try and get back on it

Good luck, it will be worth it if you go for it!!

Gemm x
  • Options
    We have imogen into a routine as best we can although some days are all over the place and others are really good, she is always in bed between 8-9 although she will just lie awake til god knows what tiem, we give her a feed at 12am then she usually sleeps til 5.30, change and feed her back to bed til about 9.30am and then day to day vary from feeding every 4 hours or upto 6 hours, i'm trying to keep her awake more in the day as well so she sleeps longer on the night but i'm out and about in the car meeting friends etc and so she sleeps when she's in the car. We also wake her for feeds if shes asleep. esp on her final feed of the night, she guzzles whilst sleeping, which is quite cute lol

hope you find one that works for you xx