Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Holiday with LO

Hi Ladies,

I'm sorry to say I haven't been on here since posting my birth story which is very naughty but I hope you are all doing well and enjoying your little ones. Isn't it lovely to get out in the fresh air with them now the sun is shining!

I'm looking for advice on holidays. I would like to take Anabelle away with hubby and me in October/November time. I'd like to go somewhere sunny where we can just lie about (with Anabelle in the shade) and just enjoy some time just the 3 of us. However finding somewhere I am happy taking Anabelle is proving difficult. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. My main concerns are medical provisions, food, and baggage allowance. When it comes to food is it OK to take baby food with us? I'm still breast feeding at the moment but plan to stop at 6 months so I'm not sure what I'll need.

Thanks for your help

Kate

Replies

• Hi there,

We spent ages researching a holiday (which we're supposed to go on in 3 weeks if this volcano lark ever abates....)

My suggestions would be (although obviously haven't been yet!):

- Self catering is probably easier as it gives you somewhere to prepare baby's food, sterilise anything that needs sterilising, you can take less clothes for LO and wash then there if needs be etc

- Also an apartment is better than a hotel as you'll have a room for LO so don't just have to sit quietly in your hotel room once LO is asleep

- I'd say if LO is on solids or mushed up food just take enough for the journey as you'll be able to buy veggies when you get there

- Think about whether you want to eat in every night or go out. If go out then try and find somewhere in walking distance from your accommodatation. Otherwise you'll have get a sleepy LO into the car, then out of the car into pushchair then the other way around after dinner (and someone will have to drive as you won't have a baby seat in a taxi)

- Re nappies etc. Take some but not enough for the week. You'll be able to buy abroad.

- LO won't get a seat on the plane so take a pillow to rest your arms on in case she falls asleep, otherwise you'll have to rest them on those horrible metal inbetween bits on the seats.

- LO probably won't get a full luggage allowance but she might get some. We're flying with Monarch and she's allowed 10kilos.

Incidentally we're going to Majorca due to shrot flight, decent weather in May and short transfers from the airport. Good luck searching!

xx
  • We're going to Portugal with our LO for the 1st wk in October.
    We've hired a villa so we can wash his clothes, make his own food etc.
  • We are going to a centre parcs on holland for a week in June and driving there so thankfully nor reliant on planes. Although I'm sure thus volcano bidiness would have cleared by then.

But like monkeynuts has said, we made sure that we have a villa with a kitchen and we'll take our steraliser with us.

x x
  • Hi girls, thanks for your replies. I'm still stuck between all inclusive or a villa but am calming down about the otherf stuff a little bit! I read on another forum about taking milk with you, some airlines let you through if you taste it in front of them others won't let you through at all, I guess it depends on the airline. Lots more research to be done I think! Hope you all have a lovely time. Kate