Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010

Anyone else a worrier?

Anyone else worrying all the time about things?

I just feel really uncertain all the time.

I bath Dylan, he cries, I worry I am being cruel for bathing him, making him cold and uncomfortable.

Dylan sleeps, I wonder if I should wake him to be fed, then I worry that if I do, I am being cruel for not letting him sleep, if I don't am I being cruel for starving him.

I am already worrying about the future, what if he gets sick etc. What if I can produce enough milk to express when I go back to work at the end of June, am I cruel for going back to work so soon and leaving him.

Am I normal ladies? I feel completely like a fish out of water, you wouldn't think I have a 9 yr old daughter already, I feel like I haven't been thru this before.

Is anyone else a worrier or am I a freak?

Melissa

Replies

• lol, i think its natural isn't it? I worry less now i'm on my second week but i know what you mean, i worry she sleeps too much, then i worry when she's awake i dont interact with her enough lol, if its any consellation Bella screamed the house down when i put her in the bath so know i just sit her in the sink and she loves it lol
  • Me! image

I'm worrying about all the same things that you are - sleeping, eating, interacting, along with why Adam isn't in a routine, how hubby will cope with the lack of sleep when he goes to work next week, whether Adam will grow up to have ADHD - the list is endless!!

We have not braved a proper bath yet (we were told not to until his cord fell off, which happened this morning - woohoo!) so I am now worrying about how I'll manage with bathtime and how much he'll hate it (he screams the place down when I give him his sponge bath!)

I think all the uncertainty is normal. I often wish either a midwife or paediatrician would come and live with us for a week and reassure me that I'm doing things right!

Catherine xx
  • Another major worrier here too!

I am worrying about everything. My newest worry is that I am over feeding Niamh after she has put on a massive 15oz in a week. We have tried breast feeding but are having issues with that so at the moment I am expressing for every feed and she is having EBM. She did lose 12.5% of her birth weight and she is now 3 weeks and 1 day so it has taken her all this time to regain her birth weight (7lb 7) and also put on some. The midwife and HV are thrilled with the weight gain and have told me to stop worrying about it - easier said then done!

I worry that I am not as good a parent as DH, about how I am interact with Niamh (should I be doing it more, what should I be doing etc), I worry about is she sleeping enough, sleeping too much, how I am going to ever get some sort of routine to our day, how to even begin to start to get some sort of routine, am I leaving it too late to start going to different baby groups, how I am going to manage when I can actually start doing more (recovering from a C section), when should i be bathing her/top tailing her as sometimes its the afternoon before I know it. the worry list goes on and on

So yes I am worrying. Its getting me down a bit as I really want to enjoy being a mummy but at the moment I feel I can't fully enjoy it. This is mainly down to having to express so much until her tongue tie is sort out as I hope then to breast feed exclusively but again this is another worry - should I just go to formula so I fully enjoy my time with Niamh!

I never realised being a mumy was this hard image
  • aw mrs calopa, thats exactly how i feel but for different reasons. You took the words right out of my mouth though by saying you want to enjoy but aren't.

I had a bad day yesterday. Dylan was constantly on me feeding, he won't go down in his moses basket, as soon as he is away from me, he wakes and cries and i can only settle him by sticking my breast in his mouth. last night, i was seriously contemplating giving up the bf then felt guilty as hell for even thinking it. Friends have recommended topping up wi formula.

Last night was a bit better though, i gave him a dummy to suckle on and he went down for a few hours each time so i feel like i have a tiny victory.

It's good to know i am not alone even though i feel it at the moment x
  • oh mel, i am thinkin exactly the same... constantly worrying abt things with joseph, is he taking enuf frm me, is he sleeping too much or not enuf at times... he can be awake for abt 3 hrs straight... well he definitely was last night, finally slept at 2am after going to bed with me at 11pm! he doesnt like his basket much and i can only get him in it wen he is in a deep sleep....

like u i have contemplated giving up BF but felt guilty at the thought thou i have began to top up with formula thou this aint all the time and he takes no more than 2oz wen he has the top up...

i am hopin things will get easier as i am beginning to struggle a fair bit and av bin quite teary with it...

kelly and joseph (9 days)
  • Hun its only natural to worry about your baby so dont think its not. I dont worry as much as i did with my first but she is only 21/2 so not such a big age gap and i remember alot from when she was only a newborn.

I think you will find that most babies cry when they get in the bath they have never experienced things like this and as to the feeding he will cry when he is hungry and when he is full up he wont take anymore. You cant overfeed a newborn or they will give be sick and cant underfeed them otherwise they will just scream to house down like my dd does.

As to going back to work if you feel ready then he wont know any different if he is going to nursery he will learn alot of new things and become independant and if he is with family it will be equally just as lovely and a great learning experience for him.

Its only normal to become a bit teary at this time they call it the baby blues and most women get it. Dont beat yourself up hun just think your baby boy wouldnt know what to do without a fab mummy like you xx
  • its natural i think were all the same im a major worrier and hubby is always telling me off about it, i have to admit that im alot calmer and more confident this time, and patient wi nancy being my 3rd but i still worry loads and have bad days. i think we worry so much but the babies dont care and dont know so we shouldnt worry as much (easier said than done i know).
    my milk supply wasn't enough for nancy i was bit upset but then thought why she doesnt care as long as she gets fed, gets enough and is settled it doesnt matter, try be a little easier on yourself your, your harshest critic.
    your doing an amazing job and what ever choices you make reagarding work, BF ect will be the right choices for you and your baby so dont worry.
    xxxxx