Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Follow On Milk???

Hi ladies,

how are you and the babies all doing?

Rebecca has reached her half birthday today and I was just wondering what's your thoughts on follow on milk? Will you be using it? In your opinion which is better or does it not matter?

Rebecca's on sma hungry baby milk and is so settled on it I just don't know whether to change or not!

Jem
xx

Replies

• Options
    I have a tub ready to use!

I think the main difference is that the nutrients are more concentrated in the Follow On milk, so they get the same amount of nutrients from a smaller volume of liquid. Adam is still taking almost all of his milk feeds (4 a day) but I'll definitely want to switch when he starts dropping feeds...

xx
  • Options
    Thanks cath, I never thought of it like that xx
  • Options
    i've been using follow on for a couple of weeks, i don't actually think bubba likes it much but still has her daily oz's albeit all at night! It's supposed to not fill them up quite so much so they can take more solids when weaning, that and the iron intake is only reason I did it? ;\)
  • Options
    I remember my hv saying it was just a money spinner and it wasn't any better than usual formula - and more expensive! I'm ebf so i haven't used it but someone at the baby group i go to asked the question.

I think if your lo is settled, i would be inclined to stick with what works and just up her iron rich foods image x
  • Options
    I use Aptamil, and the follow on milk is the same price as the normal formula.

It's really cheeky that some brands make it more expensive!

• Options
    No i wont be using it, never have, Im like LB, i was told it is only produced so the manufacturers can advertise it as they are not allowed to advertise formula, I was told i was as well sticking to formula until i use cows milk, Ive done this for my last 2 kids and will do it again this time.

(It is also worse for their teeth than formula/cows milk)

Gemm x
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies.

I went to the baby clinic today (had Rebecca weighed etc) and spoke to the hv about it. She said as long as Rebecca was having a varied diet with plenty of diary (yoghurts, fromage frais and cheese) and settled on her existing milk then there was no need to change.

Jem
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies.

I went to the baby clinic today (had Rebecca weighed etc) and spoke to the hv about it. She said as long as Rebecca was having a varied diet with plenty of diary (yoghurts, fromage frais and cheese) and settled on her existing milk then there was no need to change.

Jem
    xx

Thats what my HV said. Not in so many words but she basically said they are designed for people who don't feed their kids properly because they are crammed full of added vitamins etc that they should be getting from their diet. She said to stick with the formula I am using (aptamil) and give him full fat cows milk on his cereal and in cooking.
  • Options
    no i wont be using never have with my others, nancy is on cow and gate stage 2 for hungry babies and she'll stay on that till her 1st birthday when she'll go on full fat cows milk, and i use that in her cereals.
    xxx