Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

g/c from BIM but need advice x

hi ladies hope you dont mind me gc from BIM but my lo was born on the 3rd march and need advice from ladies with lo's who are a few weeks old.

My son is 3 weeks old today and over the last few days has become increasingly restless- he grunts and strains alot along with alot of squirming (hes a bit of a wiggler anyway!) and sometimes screams out as if in pain for no apparent reason.
He does seem to trump ALOT too when he has these little grunting/straning/crying sessions and its mostly early evening and at night.
He poos every 2 to 3 days but when he does go its alot and its the normal mustardy colour and soft consistency (sorry tmi!) so apparently not constipated.

has anyone else experienced this? What can i do to help him? can i give him gripe water at 3 weeks (i know it says 4 weeks on the box but would a drop on his dummy be ok?).

suzie x x

Replies

• Options
    are you bf hun? Dylan has a few episodes like this, i normally take his bottom half off and lay him on his changing unit and massage his tummy. I've done this a few times and he normally poos everywhere !!!! This was on advice of hv. She also said to try cooled boiled water with a teaspoon of fresh orange juice but i haven't tried that yet, please consult your hv tho before trying this x

I wouldn't try the gripe water just yet x

Melissa
  • Options
    hiya- no im not BF im FF he has aptimil- around 3-4 oz every 4 hours.
    The worst time is after his 11pm feed- he just wont settle, we lay him in his moses basket and he just grunts and thrusts his arms and legs about and makes a straining noise- and then when we think hes finally settling and falling asleep he gives a big shriek and starts really really crying, only for it to stop within a couple of mins.
    i just dont like seeing him distressed image
  • Options
    hiya- no im not BF im FF he has aptimil- around 3-4 oz every 4 hours.
    The worst time is after his 11pm feed- he just wont settle, we lay him in his moses basket and he just grunts and thrusts his arms and legs about and makes a straining noise- and then when we think hes finally settling and falling asleep he gives a big shriek and starts really really crying, only for it to stop within a couple of mins.
    i just dont like seeing him distressed image
  • Options
    Adam does this after his 3am (ish) feed. He grunts and groans and farts and thrashes until 7am! It's really disturbing! He doesn't cry though and seems to be asleep despite the commotion he makes...

Have you tried swaddling? We did this last night and it helped a bit...especially with the thrashing!

Adam is also on Aptamil - around 4-5 oz every 3-4 hours...

I don't have any other suggestions really - just want you to know that you're not alone!
    xx
  • Options
    Suzie - it sounds like you're describing my son! Evan is exactly the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or was. We changed his milk to Aptimal Easy Digest/Comfort and after a couple of weeks his body got use to it and now he poos at least once a day. He still has the odd day went he struggles to trump, which we normally cure by giving him some warm water or a warm bath.
  • Options
    Hey hun,

Does he bring his knees up to his chest? It could be trapped wind. Emily does this, i had been giving her Dentinox to help and it worked for a little while but i have now switched to Infacol which is magic! It really helps her to burp and stops her squirming as much in pain.

The other thing is could be is silent reflux, is it worse when he is lying down? Try keeping him upright for about 20 mins after a feed and see if that makes a difference - you can also tilt the cot/moses basket a little so he is sleeping at a slight incline. This might help. If it is reflux, a dummy could also help, just to get him off to sleep.

I only give emily a dummy when she is thrashing about and cant sleep, it really calms her down and she spits it out when she falls asleep.

Hope this helps and your lo gives you a better nights sleep soon.

L and Emily - 5 weeks and 1 day image