Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do you do with your LO?

Now that Adam is starting to be awake more during the day, I was just wondering what you all *do* with your babies - to entertain them?

I feel really guilty if I'm not interacting with Adam in some way while he's awake, but apart from chatting/singing and waving brightly coloured toys at him, I'm at a bit of a loss!

I take him out in his pram lots, but could do with some ideas for when we're in the house.

Is it ok to just let him lie and entertain himself for a while??

xx

Replies

• Hi Cath,

I find it quite hard to make sure i interact with Emily during the day, i am so used to her sleeping most of the day and just waking for feeds. Although in the last week she has taken to powernapping! She only sleeps for about an hour at a time (if that!) and is awake most of the day. I have started to put her on her playmat and she tends to lie under the wee mirror that hangs down and 'talks' to it :lol: so cute! We also sing songs too. I don't mind her being awake as much during the day as she sleeps so well at night. I only wish that when she gets really tired she would take a nap instead of fighting it! :lol:

Lx
  • Adam really fights his naps too! I keep telling him he'd feel much better if he'd let himself fall asleep, but he doesn't seem to understand yet! image
  • lol, my lo wants constant entertaining and has started to sleep a lot less during the day which is difficult!

I'm at a bit of a loss so have bought some playmats and bits from ebay, she has a vibrating bouncy chair which she likes and will stay in for a maybe 3 20 minute/half hour periods during the day, i have a fisher price rainforest musical baby gym coming and a playnest coming, i had my eye on a jumperoo but they're pretty expensive, my house will look like toys r us soon! My mum bought a fisherprice baby swing from ebay to have at her house for lo, we picked it up yesterday and had a sneaky go and lo loved it! To be honest i think ebay is a godsend because lo gets bored of stuff so quickly i'd hate to pay full price for all of it!

I tried some simple stuff like baby books, cuddly toys etc but that didnt work, her favourite thing is still going out in the pram i think!
  • Hi ladies

It's funny isn't it when they just start being awake all of a sudden!? I felt like DD was just super awake one day out of nowhere (like she'd been plotting it for days behind my back then ambushed me with hours of awakeness!!:lolimage

She's 9 weeks tomorrow and now only naps for about 3-4 hours during the day so when she's awake she spends some time on her play gym (which she LOVES now that I've tied black and pics onto the swingy bits) and we spend sometime chatting where she lies on her bean-bag looking up at me or on my knee gurgling and laughing while I talk to her about all sorts of nonsense (like what I'm thinking of making for tea or getting from the shops or wearing tomorrow etc etc). She doesn't really like toys but LOVES her black and white books so we do that sometimes. She's also got a tummy time mat but I often forget to put her on it (bad mummy)

xx
  • DS has been like that and awake a lot of the time since week 1 so I never really got used to him being asleep a lot although he would have random days when he slept all day!
    I try to vary it up a bit, when I am doing housework I put him in his bouncy chair and take him with me wherever I am going and talk to him as I am doing it, usually inane rubbish just commentating on what I am doing or going to do next mainly.
    He loves his playmat with a ball hanging on it and plays with that for ages so when he is on there I tend to leave him so he has some time entertaining himself. He also loves being naked so I put him on his changing mat on the floor naked a lot and I tend to lie on the floor next to him and just talk to him about anything. Sometimes I play nursery rhymes on one of his toys and sing to him, sometimes I put my music on and sing and dance with him. I do sometimes worry that I leave him to play on his own too much but there is only so much you can do and it's good for them to have some time on their own, you would never get a second to yourself if they are used to being entertained the whole time they are awake.
  • Im such a bad mummy, when Arran is awake im usually making breakfast or getting everyone dressed and in the afternoon im getting tea made. He hangs out in his rocking chair which he does like and he loves to watch his brothers but (heres the bad mummy bit) he loves watching TV with the boys;. They usually watch Dora or some such thing especially when im making the tea and Arran loves it!!!

Its great when im in myself with the baby and can play with him but sadly with 2 pre school kids to look after that is very rare and the poor baby gets left when im not feeding him!!! On a positive note he will know how to amuse himself!!!

Gemm x
  • Gemm, Felix is in love with baby TV, it's fab to keep him entertained when I need to do something. He also sits with me watching 90210 or desperate housewives and I tell him all about the characters and whats happening. I think he likes the movement and light. His favourite place in is the lift in our building where they have loads of funky lights on the ceiling lol!!
  • Emily loves tv Gemm! :lol: She actually turns herself in her tummy tub so she can watch telly! Not many people can chill in the bath and watch tv in the living room :lol: She will watch anything but loves to watch football and F1 with Papa! She even watched Question Time with Daddy the other day! Future Prime Minister me thinks :P hehe xxx
  • Miss I, LOL, i bet he loves 90210!!! I prefered the old one though!!

Yes Arran loves football too, it must be the green pitch.I hate footie tho so I was much happier the other day when he was bent round double to watch the Moto GP. Cant say i would watch question time so im not sure if he would like it!!!

Gemm x
  • Felix's favourite is cricket which suits me! He also sits in his bouncy chair and watches football. We can't wait to take him to a match! His Dad is not to keen on him becoming a big 90210 fan. I wanted him to be born 3 days later so his birthday would be 90210, damn him for coming earlier!!
  • Well it sounds like I am doing everything I can...although I had not thought of the tv! I never have the TV on during the day, so might give that a go later and see how he likes it.

One day Adam was really grumpy and the only way I could entertain him was by dancing! He just sat and watched and waved his arms in the air. He cried every time I stopped and I was exhausted after 45 mins! Who needs buggy fit when your baby loves dancing?!

xx
  • gemm dont feel bad at all as another mummy of 3 life is just like that, Noo is a little tele addict too, lol!!
    when she is awake which is most of the day now, luckily she is very happy entertaining her self most times, under her play gym she is very happy to beat the crap out of the toys that hang down (no idea where the aggrestion is from he he) when im washing up or making tea i sit her in her pram sat up a little and that has a toy wrapped round the bar and a few attached to the sides but mainly she just watches and coo's away to me. As long as im talking and interacting with her in some way like making funny noises or playing peek a boo inbetween putting the pots away or stirring the tea, she's a happy bunny. i suppose it is that little bit harder with the other 2 due to time and jobs but sometimes it makes life alot easier too as if Noo is crying phoebe& Lacey are more than happy to talk to her and make her chuckle or put her dummy in.
    sam & Nancy (Noo)
    xxxx