Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sunburnt baby - feel terrible!

We went for a walk in a local park today with a friend and had a picnic. LO was in his carseat on wheels, with a sunshade and wearing a sunhat. I had to wait 20 mins for my friend to arrive but waited in the shade or put a muslin over the sunshade. We walked about 10-15 mins to our picnic spot. Fed LO. then put factor 50 sunscreen on him. He had a little kick on the rug whilst we ate, but had his hat on and it wasn't blazing sunshine. Then went for a walk afterwards - again used the muslin intermittently and kept his sunhat on. Had another feed - this was the only time I took his hat off - and the sun did come out and get quite hot whilst I was feeding him - so we moved into the shade when we finished. Now I'm home and he has sunburn around his eyes and just above his eyebrows. I feel terrible!! He seems fine otherwise and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I can only assume I either missed a few patches with the cream, or he burnt whilst we were waiting for my friend to arrive or when walking to our spot, or maybe when feeding him at the end of the day. Won't make the same mistake again - a lesson learned today about burning even in cloudy weather and making sure no patches are missed when applying cream. Sorry long post but I feel dreadful and needed to offload. Please be careful with your LOs x

Replies

• Options
    oh dear, it sounds like you did all you could? I have a factor 50 stick for the face but even so i probably wouldn't have done the eyes? I have to say i'm a bit obsessed about lo getting sunburnt and when we went to the park she was in her pram the whole time with hood up and sunshade or out of the pram but in complete shade, it's so difficult to tell isn't it :roll:
  • Options
    Oh dear, try not to feel bad. It was maybe when you were feeding him and like you said you maybe missed a bit. You were being responsible and doing all you could. It's happened to both my big kids at times. My DS1 went out in his pram with my sister when he was 6 or7 months and had hat, suncream and parasol and ended up with a red arm. Just when walking one way the sun must have been shining on one bit. My ds2 was in the garden on his 2nd birthday and we sat and opened his pressies on the rug with no sun cream and he got a burnt bit on one side of his face and arm. I didnt think about suncream coz it was mid april!. You live and learn

Gemm x
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. It looks a bit better today, have been applying aqueous cream to keep it moisturised and cool. Looking at it agin today I wonder whether its from him rubbing his eyes when he was tired and removing some of the cream. Who knows - the main thing is he's fine!