Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Difficult Nights - need some advice!

Hi Girls,

My baby was due in March, but she arrived 3 weeks early on 14th Feb (have posted in BIM too). Hope you don't mind me dropping in.

Got a question for you....

My daughter is 5 weeks and 3 days old (she arrived 3 weeks early!). We have started a bedtime routine which involves a feed at around 6pm, followed by a bath, followed by bed (moses basket in our bedroom). She seems to have taken to this quite well and is usually asleep between 7.00 - 7.30pm.

She will then sleep through to any time between 10pm and midnight (ocasionally goes for longer), however sometimes we have this nightmare scenario where she wakes for her next feed and will not go back down to sleep afterwards...sometimes we are up for 2 even 3 hours at a time. She is suffering with wind, I wouldn't quite say she has colic, but she does seem to be in a lot of discomfort.

The weird thing is the next night she'll be as good as gold, and go straight back down to sleep after each feed. I am trying to keep her awake for periods during the day in an attempt to get her to distinguish properly between night and day but not sure if it is making much of a difference.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks,
Edie xx

Replies

• Options
    Have you tried giving her medicine for her wind? I can highly recommend infacol...it gets Adam burping no problems!!

Also, do you make sure that the night time feeds are all very dull - no eye contact, no bright lights, TV off etc... We started doing this and it really helped.

The only other thing I can suggest is swaddling - we've done this the past few nights and it really helps Adam to settle - otherwise he thrashes his arms around and wakes himself up!

Good luck...
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Cath!

Yes, my dd is on Infacol - we are going through it like no tomorrow! We do the whole low light, no noise thing for bedtime, but I will give the swaddling a try.

Thanks for the tips!

Take care,
    Edie xx