Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tummy time?

Hi

Is anyone giving their baby tummy time? If so, when are you meant to start?

The HV put Adam on his tummy today to look at his spine and he screamed the place down, so I sense he is not going to be a fan! :\)

Thanks!

Cath and Adam
12 days old! xx

Replies

• My DD hated it at first but she got used to it and now loves it (she is 5 months old) I just tried a few seconds at a time and did all the recommended stuff like lie next to her and roll things past her etc. Now she actually rolls on to her front!! Good luck by the way 12 days old is very young so don't worry too much. I started at about that age as well.
  • Felix spends quite a lot of time on his tummy, he lies on my chest an awful lot and I have lay him on his playmat a few times. We also put some baby oil on his dry skin recently and lay him on his tummy and massaged him and he loved it. I would just persevere with it, he will get used to it.

The LO I looked after never went on his tummy, by the time I started looking after him at 4 months he would not go on his tummy without screaming the house down because they had never done it. He didn't roll over until he was 8 months and didn't crawl at all, he bum shuffled at about a year. I really think it was because he was never on his tummy!!