Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

your evenings???

just wanted to know what your evenings were like?? and get any advice.

My DH doesn't get home until 6.30, we have dinner 7.30ish bath LO and i'm normally feeding by 8 and he's asleep by 9.00. however i'm going to bed at 9 with lo. i have tried bathing at 7 but then he just fed untill 11pm lol.

do you think 9 is to late?? it would be nice to have a little time with dh in evenings but lo doesn't seem to want to go to bed at 7.30, and just wants to feed.

the last two nights he has slept 5 hours, fed an hour then been unsettled for another hour, then gone to sleep for 2.5 hours!! so the first half is great image

also what are your views on dream feeding??

thanks
claire and Noah 6 + 4

Replies

• Options
    hubby gets home at 7, we eat maybe 7.30, has cuddles with lo, lo goes up to bed at 8 to be fed and settled by half 8, slightly after if im bathing her but today for example i bathed her this morning?

Up until a week ago lo was going to bed at 9.30/10 with me but the same as you i thought it would be nice to have time with hubby, so i still go to bed between 9.30 and 10.30 but lo is already asleep!! to be honest i had thought about 7.30 bedtime but thought i'd take it back by an hour to start, initialy she was wide awake at about 2am, and a couple of times was awake for a few hours but now a week or so on she sleeps less during the day and sleeps better at night feeding at 8pm, 12/1am, 3/4am and then 6/7am onwards image

i've never done a dreamfeed, i think its a myth that it helps them sleep, controversial i know!:lol:
  • Options
    i may try this tom night again the only thing is som etimes he will feed for an hour before sleep so may not be any better off, will see x
  • Options
    Could you maybe try having him bathed before hubby comes in and fed earlier. Its worth keeping going especially at the 6 weeks mark.

My lo usually has a nap at 4-5 ish then we do bath between 5 and 6 and feed from 6-7ish and put him down hopefully by 7pm but sometimes he wants to feed more and its nearer 8pm. I do wake him up at 10-11ish and feed him again before i go to bed, im not sure if its classed as a dream feed, thats a new buzz word that i dont really like. It helps for them to be more awake at that time so they drink a bit more to see them through.

Dont be afraid to put them down when they are still awake and leave them. Arran chats to himself for a while and wriggles and if he still has wind or is still hungry he will let me know but more often he settles down.

It gets easier!!

Gemm x
    Arran 9 weeks

• Options
    i may get hubby to bath him as soon as he gets in so he has sometime with him!! do you feed lo in bedroom?? just don't want to be stuck in there for hours on my own!! thanks
  • Options
    just to second what gemm says, i feed lo in the bedroom and she isn't asleep when i put her down, as gemm said dont be scared to put her down when she's awake and leave her, initially my lo was still awake when i came to bed but now she is used to the earlier bedtime she setlles herself? I do cheat a little because i combination feed so lo has a bottle as her bedtime feed, maybe that cuts down the time it takes me to get her into bed?
  • Options
    i must admit lo always falls asleep on me before i put him down!! however this afternoon he was awake and settled himself for a nap. i may express some into a bottle if can get enough and see what he does when thats finished. thanks x
  • Options
    DH gets home from work at 5.30pm and has a bath with Evan. I dry and change Evan in our bedroom (with the curtains shut so it's darker). I then bottlefeed Evan (still in our bedroom) and he tends to be all snuggled up for bed between 6.30pm and 7pm.
    He will then wake at 2ish, 6ish and 8ish for a feed.
  • Options
    I quite often feed him downstairs and burp him, then take him upstairs and give him the last bit of his feed there.

Gemm x
  • Options
    we have just changed Lily's feed times so that we get some evening time. Dh can be home late sometimes 9.30pm which means he will miss Lily now, hence why i was keeping her up, but he only does that twice a week,.

Lily has been settling herself for a few weeks now, but i have always remained in the room and gone to bed, this week, due to long hours dh has been working she has gone to bed after her 10.30pm feed whilst i have tidied up and got bottles ready etc, with just the baby monitor on. She had been going from 10.30 til 4am then feed and then awake at 9am.

LAst night we tried the new rountine, she had her last bottle at 9pm, woke up at 2.30am and then quick bottle, i only give her 90ml at this feed and then back to sleeep until 7.30am this morning.

I always change her, use Johnson night cream, and then give bottle, i never talk to her at this feed, as soon as she is done, she goes up to bed.
  • Options
    we have been in a routine for a while now regarding bed time. Imogen is bathed about 7 and then fed around 8pm and taken to bed straight away. We leave her to drift off if she is not tired, Sometimes she cries but most of the time she settles herself. We then feed her at 12am, again sometimes awake and others not but we still give her it and she takes more or less all of it then she goes til 5 or 6 then again til bout 9ish xx
  • Options
    We have started to get our evenings back in the last week or so...

I feed every three hours during the day - with the last feed at around 6.30pm. Adam is in bed for 7pm and normally asleep by 7.30 at the latest.

We then feed him once in the night (between 2am and 4am, depending on when he wakes up) and then up between 6am and 7am to start the day...

It makes such a difference having a couple of hours to have dinner, do jobs round the house and spend some quality time with my husband!

Cath and Adam (7 weeks and 3 days!)
    xx

Edited to say that we decided not to dream feed, as I felt a bit odd about feeding Adam when he was not hungry! I am vaguely following advice from the Sensational Baby Sleep Plan (or something!) and the author does not recommend it. However, I am only really following this plan as it was the closest to what Adam was doing anyway...

[Modified by: **Cath** on April 06, 2010 09:00 PM]

• Options
    We've been trying to get George down a bit earlier over the last week or so. He now goes down at 8pm ish after a bath, and i've been giving him EBM as his last feed, tho he has wanted to top up on the boob before he settles completely.

Don't dream feed, just wait til he wakes up hungry. He went for 7 hours the other night! Woo hoo!
    Cath - we're also trying to vaguely follow the sensational baby sleep plan too!
  • Options
    well, i have tried putting lo down at 7 and he hated it lol.

anyway bath him between 7.30 and 8 and he is now asleep by 9 at latest every night, last night 8.40 so getting a little earlier!! and he is now sleeping 6 hours woo hoo, well he has for three nights, woken and then back for 2.5 to 3 hours. the only thing i have changed is johnsons baby night cream, and he now has a sleeping bag. he kept kicking his blankets off!!. i'm hoping that as he gets more alert his bed time will naturally come forward.

hope everyone else it getting a bit more sleep xx
  • Options
    From about 3 weeks we've been starting the bedtime routine for our twins at 6:00 (was bathing them in the morning). It had to fit in with our 2 year old so we started quite young. It worked really well when we did the same when our daughter was young so we planned to do it again this time. Now, at 8 weeks, they see Daddy at 5:30 when he gets home, then go up for a bath at 5:45. I bathe them on my own and give them their last feed while my OH plays with my two year old downstairs, Then at 6:30 he gives her a bath while I finish settling the babies. I get my daughter dressed and we both sit with her for milk and a story. By about 7:15 all 3 kids are sleeping and we get an evening together.
  • Options
    ive pretty much let her get into her own routen which as wrked out great for all of us.
    hubby gets home for 5.30 - 6 pm so he has his time with the girls . our eldest goes for bath first for 7 ish then mia goes for hers straight after , whilst i sort bubs out. our eldest has her time with daddy then by by 8 the eldest is in bed bubs as last feed . in bed by 8.30. till she wakes up at 7 - 8 am for feed.

loz an mia 11 wks 2 days xx
  • Options
    Im like you claire with hubbie getting in late so have been keeping ethan up until 9 ish. It is now working quite well although Im still going to bed at the same time as ethan just to get some sleep! So not too good for the old marriage lol but hubbie is shattered too so we all go to bed.
    Ethan is bathed at 8pm and fed and in bed by 9 at the latest and then wakes for a feed at 12-1am then goes until 3-4 ish...fingers crossed he'll go lnger soon and then me and hubbie can hae some us time which does involve us both snoring :lol: x
  • Options
    we've just got noo in to the rest of the families routin now, hubby gets home about 5.30 he has time with all the girls then on bath night (tue,thurs,sun) all girls have a bath at 6ish then noo gets out first dried and dressed,while the big girls play, she then has her bottle, get big girls out dry and dressed, then put noo down in our room in moses and put big girls down.
    we like everyone in bed by 7pm then its me and hubby time.
    noo normally sleeps from 7 till 1-30ish then has a feed then goes back off till bout 7, but my big girls are normally up for 6.30ish wit hubby who gets up and spends time with them before he goes to work. xx
  • Options
    gc from born in march.

Wow you lot are doing great my lo is 4 1/2 weeks old im bf and he cluster feeds all evening from around 7 till around 10.30 when he goes to bed and sleeps untill around 3 or 4 after this its a bit hit and miss sometimes he goes back down easily other time he stays awake he doesnt seem to sleep half as much as some of yours! Please tell me some of yours have been like this at some point i would love to have my dinner without lo being attached to me!
  • Options
    hi sugar cube,

yes my LO did this alot and it has only been the last week that he has been asleep by 8.00, sleeps until 1ish and then back down anywhere between 5 and 7 he is now 10 weeks. BF does get easier and i can now have my dinner without lo attached to me lol x
  • Options
    thanks it makes it a bit easier knowing that in a few weeks time he might be more settled