Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Not sleeping through unless ......

He is in bed with me..... and I am talking about Dylan, not my hubby lol.

I know this practice is frowned upon and believe me, i am not too keen on it myself but I have been back at work now for a month and Dylan hasn't slept through and is quite often up 2 to 3 times a night, sometimes ( like the other night ) every hour.

I know he is teething ( his first tooth popped through last week and the other is about to break through the skin) but I can't see a light a the end of the tunnel with this sleep issue !!!

I am sometimes going to work to start at 7 am after being awake from 2:30 am !!!

Am I a bad Mum for letting him share my bed? I have looked at all the debates on this onne. I don't drink, I don't smoke or do drugs and I honestly do not move in bed. I do wake a few times in the night but I manage a bit more sleep when he is in bed with me.

I just don't know what the issue is with him and sleep? I have tried weaning, I have tried formula as his last feed and nothing helps. When he wakes in the night, he will not be shooshed back to sleep, the longer we try it, the louder he screams !!! I am scared of making a rod for my own back and can see him still being in bed with us when he is 5 ( the little bleeder!!)

What do you guys think??

Replies

• Well I hope everyone says it's ok, because Adam spends most of the night in with me and Mike!

Last night he was up seven times, I feel like a zombie!
  • As long as it's done safely I don't see a problem. We were given a booklet from the mw's on co-sleeping and how to do it safely.

I don't do it with Alfie as luckily he has been a great sleeper but I did it with ds1 & loved it.
  • George is in bed with me every night too!! He starts the night in his cot but by morning,he is nestled in between me and hubby! I don't feel so bad about it though as he's so little. I think our lo's are going through a waking up stage at the moment as my ds is up a few times every night now, its exhausting.
  • If Emily has a bad night or won't go back to sleep at silly o'clock, i just bring her into bed with me. But neither of us really get a great sleep so i try and avoid it if possible. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as it is done safely, like you are doing image

I really don't know how you do it Mel, i am dreading Emily not sleeping through when i go back to work! I hope you are getting plenty of rest at the weekend? xxx
  • my friend has co-slept with her lo since the start. she's never beenin a cot or basket. the mws have checked its done safely and are happy. she also bfs, which is supoosed to keep you more tuned in to babies needs according to some research, although i cant remember where i read that. and as long as he's next to you, and not next to your hubby, as thats safer. when we were having touble settling esme, hubby was going to sleep on the sofa to give us more room to co-sleep but it wasnt necessary in the end. its common practice in some european countries.