Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My BS!!

Hey ladies

Here's my birth story for baby Evie Rose... image

My due date was 4 Feb, each day passed with nothing happening, the sweep couldn't be performed successfully as my cervix was posterior. Baby was also in a slightly back to back position.

On Saturday night (12 Feb) I was having lots of Braxton hicks, every 10 minutes but they weren't painful so I didn't think much of them.

On Sunday I started having contractions at about 11am, after a while I started timing them and they were about 8 minutes apart, through the afternoon they got a bit closer together and got to about 6 minutes apart. I bounced around on my ball and kept as active as possible, hubby and I went for a walk in the woods in the rain (which was quite painful when the contractions hit), had a bath to try ease the pains. Wanted to stay as active as possible as I was scared of things stopping! I was booked in for an induction on the Wednesday and really didn't want to get to that point.

I was really struggling by late Sunday night and I rang the labour ward just after midnight, the midwife said I needed to go in to be seen as I'd not felt baby moving much (I think I was feeling the pain more than anything else) so we went off to the ward for about 1am Monday morning. Saw a lovely midwife who put me on the monitor for a while, everything was fine with baby. She did an internal to find I was about 2.5cm dilated (whoop progress!) and she performed a sweep. I was given some cocodamol and went home to bed. I managed to sleep for 2 hours and then woke about 5am, contractions were stronger so we got the tens machine out and hubby hooked it up on my back. Couldn't really sleep much after that I was in rather a lot of pain and discomfort. Had another bath as I could not get comfy sitting or lying down. I think the contractions were still about 6 mins apart but they were more painful.

I rang the labour ward again about 12.30 as I was starting to feel I couldn't cope at home and wanted to know if things were progressing, we got back down there at 1.45pm and I was so disappointed to hear I was still only 2.5cm dilated. I was given some more cocodamol which didn't do anything and was left in the room with hubby feeling mega uncomfortable, contractions got to about 5 mins apart. At 4pm the midwives changed over and a new one came in to see me...the options were to either to go home (I said no way, I was in too much pain), to go up to the antenatal ward and have a walk about (I could barely stand, never mind walk, my pelvis hurt so so much by this point, as baby was back to back I was feeling a hell of a lot of pressure in my back and bottom, it was dreadful), or have a shot of pethidine (which I hadn't wanted as I didn't want to feel like a junkie and I was worried about feeling/being sick) and rest and let my body relax hoping for progression. So the midwife examined me again and I was pleased to hear things had moved on and I was now about 4cm dilated (horray!) so now I was finally in ???????established labour???????, after about 28 hours of painful contractions that they don't even class as being in labour. I asked the midwife what she recommended I do and pethidine was the answer. So I had a shot of that mixed with something that counteracts the sickness. Wowzers it made me feel sooooo woozy, it was like being the drunkest I have ever been!! However, it did not take away the pain of the contractions, so when they hit (about every 3 or 4 mins) I was sucking on the gas and air, I didn't feel that this did a right lot for the pain either, more of something to concentrate on.

The pain was getting unbearable, it was so awful in my bottom and I was feeling so much pressure, it was horrendous. I was starting to get a bit stressed out about it and told hubby to press the buzzer to get a midwife to come see me. She examined me and I think she said I was 5cm, it was the bulging bag of waters that I could feel as the pressure. My god it was unbelievable, without being crude it felt like the baby was going to burst out of my bottom!! image Lol. I had mentioned the birth pool earlier on but we had to wait for the pethidine to wear off, it was about time so I went in there about 8pm I think. I really expected it to help and take away some of the pressure but if anything it just got worse, I was puffing away on the gas and air but during contractions (which were every couple of minutes now) the pressure was so immense I was just groaning and couldn't breathe the gas and air in properly. The midwife was telling me not to push as I wasn't dilated enough, I was listening to her but my body had other ideas!! At this point hubby had gone to get some butties off my step mum who came to drop them off (as we'd been told it would be hours yet until baby arrives), he came back to find me rolling about in the pool in horrendous pain. I told the midwife I thought my waters had gone as I'd felt 3 gushes but she was questioning this as there wasn't really any vernix and bits off baby floating about in the water, hmmm. I certainly felt something come out and told her this. I could not cope anymore and said I wanted an epidural, the midwife went through a few points of the facts that I was more at risk of an assisted birth or even c-section if I had an epidural, but I could not cope with being in so much pain and deal with the pressure for hours longer!

So out of the pool I staggered then another contraction hit, I bent over the side of the pool, midwife must have had a peek at my nether regions and ???????oh I can see babys head!??????? image my response ???????are you ****ing joking???????? haha!! I didn't say a right lot during all this so that must have really surprised them!! Along with the fact that they were telling us it would be hours until baby was born then all of a sudden there's the head!!! Then a giant gym mat was thrown on the floor and she told me to get on it, ???????Im not giving birth on that???????!! :lol: haha how hilarious, luckily my room was just opposite the pool room so we somehow managed to get back across there then I was told to get on the bed and start pushing whenever I was ready, to which I replied in a panic ???????what? I can't do this with no pain relief!!??????? omg. They (another midwife had now appeared) replied ???????well you're going to have to!??????? oh blimey! So onto the bed I went on my knees leaning over the back of it and when the contraction hit I started pushing, initially I had the gas and air then for some reason (unknown to me) they took it off me and I continued pushing with no pain relief at all! I think baby kept slipping back a bit and when they monitored her heartbeat between contractions it was quite high so they were telling me we need to get this baby out asap or a doctor would be brought in and it would be an assisted delivery. I really didn't want that so I pushed with all my might. They told me to get onto my back and I pushed and pushed, I could feel the stinging as the head started to come out, they asked if I wanted to feel the head, my answer was a definite ???????no??????? - I knew that if I did so, got emotional or whatever and lost focus it would not be good, I needed to concentrate on pushing. I don't know how I did it but I managed to keep in control and push gently as her head was born (ouch stingy), one more push and my beautiful baby girl was born!!! They put her straight onto my tummy and into my hands. I couldn't believe it, what I'd just been through and now I was holding my baby girl!!! I just laid there in shock starting at her, she truly is absolutely gorgeous! It was so amazing to have her in our arms, me, hubby and our little Evie Rose. I have to say also that my hubby was fantastic support throughout the labour, the pushing stage he really helped me just with words of support and love. He didn't say anything ridiculous or to annoy me like those men on one born every minute! Haha. Bless him, it was such a heart warming feeling to see him holding our newborn daughter image

So it was one of those labours where the midwives were telling us it could be many hours until the baby will be born and then a couple of hours later I am pushing the baby out!! Very quick progress at the end. My community midwife has said it may have been the action of climbing into the pool and opening up my pelvis that allowed baby to drop down into position. Progress had been delayed due to her being in the wrong position and not dropping down. Me rolling about in the pool probably helped too! On my notes it says membranes to birth 1hr 39mins, first stage 1hr 10 and second stage 29 mins. Lets not forget the 28 hrs of early labour contractions prior to that tho!!

I have to say the labour and more specifically the birth was an incredible experience, not necessarily a bad birth at all. The worst part of it was the contractions and the horrendous pressure I was feeling in my bottom (Im told that's because she was back to back tho), that pain and pressure far outweighed the pain of pushing the baby out. This surprised me. Also its so true what they say about the pain disappearing immediately when baby is born. I can't believe I pushed a baby out with no pain relief, Im normally so soft! I only had a small tear that required a few stitches (didn't like being stitched at all!! I actually asked the doc if she had numbed me as I could still feel it! That made them laugh. Apparently I had been numbed!) haha.

Evie Rose was born on valentines day at 9.09pm weighing 8lbs 8oz image She is utterly adorable and precious. We had one night in hospital and came home the following evening before she was even 24 hrs old! I'll try to upload a pic soon.

Sorry this is sooo long, I hope you enjoyed it tho image

Replies