Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My very late Birth story - hope you enjoy!

Hey ladies,

Baby Grace was due on 1 February, but fortunately came four days early on January 26 which I was hoping for as I didn't wan to go over due as I really wanted my water birth.

After a month I finally have a chance to share my birth story with you all , so here it goes.....

It all began in the early hours on Wednesday 26 January. The night before I and hubby were in the mood and made love (it was amazing). Around 11.30 pm on Tuesday 25 January, we both had a bath and then decided to go to bed in the early hours on wednesday morning.

Everything was fine with me, I hadn't felt any pain and there were no physical signs that baby was going to come during the day. Unlike the week before when I had very strong braxton hicks, which had caused me so much pain i thought I was in labour

Anyway, at 3.00am (in a very deep sleep) I felt my waters break and the whole of my side of the bed was soaked, once I realised this was happening i tried to wake hubby up, but as he was also in a deep sleep he didn't actually realise what I was saying to him until I shook him very very hard. Hubby then helped me get changed and got a towel, but didn't think much of it, so he decided to sleep in the living room whilst I slept on his side of the bed.

I called the birthing centre to find out what I should do as I new baby was now prone to infection as my waters had broken. The midwife told me to rest and go to the hospital at 8.00am to be monitored. Deep down inside I really didn't want to have to go to the hospital to be checked, but wanted the labour to begin instead.

I went back to bed and around 5.00 am i felt a very strong period type pain which woke me up, I went to the living room to tell hubby that I think I'm in labour, after reasuring me that I was NOT in labour and that I should try and rest I went back to bed.

At around 7.00 am I felt another very sharp period type pain, which woke me up again I went to tell hubby and he was still convinced I was NOT having the baby. I knew the pains were not braxton hicks and said to hubby "this baby is coming today, I know this baby is coming by 12.00pm we will see our baby" Hubby honestly did not believe me until I started vomiting all over the living room floor. He jumped out of the sofa to help me and then he knew it was serious.

I called the birthing centre and they told me that I was in labour and that I should have a bath, have something to eat and then make my way to the birthing centre. I decided to use my tens machine, but I found it really irritating rather than pain relief, so I stopped using it. (quite disappointing)

At 9.00 am we made our way to the birthing centre thank God there was no traffic! Straight away I was given a room at the BC and the midwife showed me how to breath as I was due to attend the birthing classes the following week. I remember saying to the midwife "I haven't been to the breathing classes so I don't know what to do", my wifewife said it's ok just watch me.

I then breathed through each contraction whilst leaning on a bean bag on the bed, around 10.45 am I asked for some paracetamol - still breathing through the contractions silently all I could think about was my baby. Hubby was rubbing my lower back, I got such a relief from that. I asked the midwife if the pain gets worse that it already was and she said yes.

Around 11.50am I then asked to get into the pool, the water was lovely, and the room was lit with a candle, hubby was such a great support telling me that I was a strong woman and that I could do it.

Around 1.00pm I was offered gas and air this felt so wonderful, I could feel my eyes become very heavy, but I was very alert and new exactly was I was saying and doing. I remember thanking hubby and telling him what I great support he was and I remember saying to the midwife that she should become the head of midwifery as she was excellent a her job, I remember her laughing.

Around 1.45 pm I felt the erg to push, when we got to the ring of fire stage I remember saying this feels like hot pepper! Gas and Air had been taken away from me at this point and Baby Grace was born in the pool at 2.51 pm. Hubby then took baby Grace to the other room to meet grandmar and granddad, my parents there waiting in the other room during my labour praying for me. It was so nice to know they were there, but could not see me but only here me during the labour.

I gave birth to my placenta as soon as I came out of the pool so did not need the injection. I remember holding Grace in the pool and thinking she looks like her dad, but she is heavy. Grace weighed 8 pound 11.

The labour went by very quickly and I can't believe I got through it on just gas and air and the water. My thresh hold is higher than I thought

Baby Grace is doing really well and now weights 10 pounds.

Replies