Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Question about Work...

So I went into school yesterday to show off Taylor to everybody. My class were so excited! It was lovely. I really enjoyed being back in, it made me feel like a real person again. It was quite bittersweet as I handed my notice in whilst I was there, I really love my school and I'm really sad to leave but we are moving out of London and I can't imagine teaching full time with Taylor. Anyways while I was there one of my colleagues mentioned that he had applied to do sats test marking, I thought that sounded like a really good idea, as I could easily do that at home and I've taught year 6 for the last 3 years and would enjoy keeping my hand in. But am I allowed to do that while on maternity leave?

Replies

• Does the nature of your maternity leave change since you've handed your notice in?

I'd phone your personnel dept and ask them. My ititial answer is, no you wouldn't be allowed with out it affecting your maternity leave. But honestly I'm not an expert!!
  • For people on regular maternity leave who just get paid smp you aren't allowed to work as it does affect your maternity pay. You are allowed 10 keep in touch days where you can work & your employer can pay you without any impact on maternity leave but I assume the sats thing is totally separate from your school. Like Nell says check with HR