Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bedtime routines...

What kind of routine do you have to put your little one to sleep at night?

Replies

• at the moment i make sure zac goes in his crib after his last feed that is near to 10pm so he is always in bed before 10 hoping it gets a bit earlier but at least i get a few hours me time before i go to sleep and can sit comfy in bed watching tv when he decides he wants feeding

i do find it harder though as with my others i bottle fed and they were in a full routine within days but zac gets in a routine for a few days then it goes out of the window when he decideds he wants to be permenantly on the boob

oh got me a book called the baby whisperer cant see myself being able to do the easy routine any time soon

what sort of bedtime routine do you have?
  • It's hard to get a routine when they are so tiny. Most books start routines from a few months old apart from that horrible gina ford woman but she is evil.

Dylan seems to sleep from about 7 or 8 most nights, others he will still be wide awake but it depends on his daytime sleeps, but I keep him downstairs then after his feed around 10ish he goes in his cot upstairs.

It would be interesting 2 know what others do as I didn't bother with a strict routine 4 DD as I could sleep when she slept but I don't have that luxury this time as Im looking after her while Dylan is sleeping during the day so a good routine 4 him is going to be important
  • We have started to top and tail or bath Phoebe around 7pm ish after a bottle then put her in her crib upstairs. She often wakes an hour later for a 'top up' feed of about an oz then sleeps til 11:30 ish when i feed her upstairs and we're in bed. She's not in a real routine as such during the day so the times do vary depending on her feed but she is usually in her crib by 8pm. xxx
  • I have started taking Lilia up to bed when my hubby takes DS up about 7pm. I give her a feed and put her in her crib, then turn all lights off and come downstairs, the past couple of nights she has slept until 1.30 for her next feed but after that she wakes every 2 to 3 hours for feeds. She is a sleepy girl in day too, so no sort of routine in the day but I am trying to make sure she has an awake period for a couple of hours before we go up at 7!!! I am sure things will change as she gets older!!! xx
  • My little man likes to wake up about 10ish to be awake till at least 1am which by this point i'm shattered from being up at 7.30 with DD and having to do the nightfeeds.

The last day or so tho he has been a bit more awake, awake in the morning for an hour then in the evening for a hour and a bit hopefully the more his awake the earlier he'll go down to give me a bit of a break.

However as routines go i've never had one for dd and she slept through from about 18months I couldnt establish one with her cos she was a pain in the bum sleeper, you'd have to cuddle her and pat her bum until she feel asleep if the bottle hadnt already got her off to sleep. She then kept up with the cuddles at bed time until she had brocilitus an had a stint in hospital.

With Marley i'm making sure after a fed he goes down if his still awake or he goes in his bouncer so he doesnt get to attached to cuddles being assosiated with bedtime. His great after having a fed in the night at least its jus the getting him to sleep at 10 thats a pain cos he wants to play