Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011

She just loves sucking for comfort

Grace is now 5 weeks old and in the last few days i have noticed that she wants to be attached to my breast more often than before. Usually she would breastfeed and then settle, but now i have noticed that she wants to suck for comfort even though she has just feed. Although it is wonderful bonding with her, but she usually suck for up to 20- 30 mins before she falls asleep, this is if she hasn't fallen asleep during a proper breastfeed. Sometimes we give her a dummy, but this just isn't enough sometimes and she wants to be close to my chest. It's a little hard as hubby will try and comfort her in every way, but sometimes this just isn't enough until she is sucking my breast for comfort. This means i can't leave her with hubby for very long.

Just wanted to know if anyone else is going through the same thing?

Replies

• Sorry I can't help, but Esme is the same. She has taken to a bottle for her last feed of the day, but still needs a couple of minutes of nipple to fall to sleep, a habit we are trying to get her out of, by dh feeding her and getting her to sleep. She will take a dummy sometimes, but we find it causes more problems than it solves as she also tries to put her hands in her mouth at the same time, knocking the dummy out, and then wakes up and cries!

If you find a solution, please let me know!

Elf x
  • Hey,

My little one is the same and when put him down (and I know he is clean, dry, warm and fed), he will scream bloody murder...then I offer him some the nipple, and he will literally take one suck and fall asleep instantly. It's really hard ignoring his cries, but hubby insists that is what we need to do to get him out of this habit, but he is a lot stronger than I am. It seems to work, as he does eventually settle himself and fall asleep (within 5/10 mins), but its heartbreaking leaving him to cry!!

I might try the dummy, but I didn't want to introduce it too early for fear of confusing him and affecting BF(he is only 3 weeks).

Glad I'm not the only one going through this!!

Maria

• My lo is exactly the same too. He doesn't have a good feed all at one time, and prefers to snack throughout the day - going on the boob for 5-10 minutes at a time, then 10 minutes later wanting the breast back for comfort.

I've tried to get him to take a good feed, so that he's not hungry, and that seemed to work for a little while, but now he just wants the nipple for comfort- all the time. He's currently in DH's arms, screaming bloody murder as hubby tries to settle him - but it's not working.

If anyone has any miracle cures, I'd be very grateful to hear them

Tracy xxx