Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby Bed Time

Hi all

Just wondering what time are you putting your little ones to bed?

Initially Evie was staying up and coming to bed at the same time as us...during the first week by the time we'd got sorted this was sometimes as late as midnight but we've managed to start getting to bed earlier now we know what we're doing! Over the last few nights I've been taking her upstairs and putting her into bed earlier than us but not at a consistent time, it tends to depend on whether she's been awake or asleep during the evening. It's been somewhere between 9.30 and 10.30 so not particulapry early. She is now just over 4 weeks old.

I suppose what I'm thinking of and babbling about is working towards routine...I'm not particularly bothered about having her in bed for 7pm, maybe I could start aiming for 9pm and then move it forward as she gets bigger.

What are you ladies doing and what are your plans for when you start with a routine?

Thanks x

Replies

• Our daughter has a mad hour every night at about 7 it can llast a couple of hours! i really want to get a routine sorted as we made a rod for our backs with ds as he still comes in our bed at 3 1/2!

She's 2 weeks now but as soon as she's a bit older i'll definitly start to think of something along your lines also we need to be sorted as when i return to work we'll need to be mega organised!!
  • I had the same question MrsB, as I really want to get a routine going, so glad you asked this.

Alexander seems to sleep a lot more than most babies during the day and at night...in that he literally wakes for a feed and a nappy change, maybe 5 minutes of social time and cuddles (before which he gets bored and falls asleep again!!).

The only routine that I have managed to withhold is topping and tailing him in the morning when he wakes up, usually around 7ish, then I make sure daytime naps are in a bright room (no curtains closed etc) and I don't tip toe around him while he's asleep i.e. I make as much noise as necessary while getting on with my daytime business! Then at around 6-7ish pm I start winding down, so move him into his dimly lit nursery to have a bath and a little massage, then ready for bed. Then I move him into our room (again dimly lit, with classic fm on the radio - he loves that as I listened to it a lot while pregnant...I am hoping I am doing my bit to rear a child genius :lol: ), then he has a final feed in our bed and I put him down at 6.30-7.30ish. He usually settles fairly quickly. I hate leaving him in the room alone though, so I have to go up and check on him every 10 minutes or so (despite having a baby monitor!!).

Aside from topping and tailing and evening baths, everything else is very much being led by Alex, so I am feeding on demand, he is sleeping when he wants, and obviously nappies are changed as and when needed!

Maria

• With Marley I entitally thought i'd get him set up in a routine but it hasn't happened.

The only thing that stays he same is roughly his feeds during the day they tend to fall around about the same time. An if he hasn't woken around the time he roughly feeds then i'll wake him up to make sure he is fed.

Tonight has been the first night I've put him down to bed as such as every other night these past 2weeks he's stayed in the front room with me with the lamp on low an then I've taken him to bed when I've been going. The first 2weeks he would wake up anytime between 9-10 an stay awke till like 12 1am which was wearing me out but today his been awake near enough all day with only a 3hour sleep so when he feel asleep at 7.30 I put him straight in our room.

His doing better then his sister though. I would have nights where she just wouldnt go back down after a fed or would wake up at like 4am an stay awake until 9 an fall asleep most annoying where as marley only tend to wake between 3-4 for a feed and then anytime between 6-8 for breakfast depending on his feed before image
  • We usually start toppping and tailing or bathing Phoebe around 7/7:30 depending on her feeds and have her in bed by 8/8:30, we started this just as dh went back to work when she was 3wks old. I did read that at this young age it doesn't matter if the time varies slightly as it's the routine that's important(?)
  • With both my kids they seemed desperate to got to bed between 6 and 7 pm. I wanted Lilia to get into the same routine as DS and have tried to drag it out so i can read them both stories but she is too tired so I sit downstairs and feed her then off up to bed in a dark room and she stays asleep til a feed between 12pm and 2pm. I dont change her nappy, unless she has pooed, and keep lights off, she goes straight back to sleep and wakes around 5.30am. I would like to think it was me that got her into it but its her own routine xx