Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weighing LO & health visitors

Hello all,

Hope you and lo are all well. How often to you weigh your lo, and how often do you see your hv?

Esme was last weighed at 6 weeks at her check-up with the dr, the last time we saw the HV was at 5 weeks, when she said she wouldn't be visiting again until E was 12 weeks. There are open sessions at the health centre where I can get her weighed, but I've just missed the closest one (only every 2nd and 4th Thursdays), so it will be another 3 weeks. I'm not particularly concerned - she's out-growing her clothes so quickly and is eating well - but wondered what others were doing?

Thanks, E & E

Replies

• The health visitor only came out to me at day 10 and then i have to take my LO to the baby clinic if i want baby weighing etc that is twice a week open sessions. I took Esme yesterday to be weighed for the first time and she is 4 weeks old, they had no advice for me at all with regards to her wind and tummy ache!

Lovely choice of name by the way my LO is called Esme Lola X
  • Marley didnt see the HV unil he was 16days old because they're was so many out sick so we were put on a back burner an she offered to come out today to see him for a weight in which she did his gained 1lb 4oz in two weeks which is better then what DD did in her first 4weeks.

We have a clinic every tuesday between 2-3.30 so i'll most probably take him to his 6wk check then he'll have jabs and weighted at 8weeks and then take him once a month after that.

I think I did that with DD till eventually i kept forgetting to go and they then only saw DD at her 18month and 3 year check. The health vistor did weight Isobel today though and she's below centile and she shuv's food away so i duno where she's putting it. She weights 2stone 4lbs and she is coming up to 4years she's quiet leggie though so she's probably just gonna be tall an slender.

HV didnt really give me any insite either though as Marley keeps coughing after feeds doesnt do it any time but sometimes u see it catching his breath. She just said give him a drink of cool boiled water after his feed which i cnt see doing nething...
  • Wow and I thought my HV was bad for stopping seeing us at 5 weeks, seems I was lucky! To be honest she wasn't much use, and was never here longer than it took me to undress and dress E.

Zowen - will they weigh lo a her immunisations?
  • In experience with two children & two different practices both do weight in and immunisations on the same day image

Out of both pregnancys it was my cwm that spent the most time with us during and after she come see us every week up until discharghe at 4 wks and each time wud stay 4 half hour. On her first visit she was hear nearly an hour admiring Marley. Even at the weekly clinic viits she would always want a catch up she was so luvly. We even checked to see when she was going back into labour ward an how long for. As I couldnt imagine havin to use a dif midwife nw she was wicked
  • Hey ladies

The health visitor came out to see Evie at home when she was 2 weeks and 4 weeks old. I think that's it for home visits now unless I specifically request one. I had Evie weighed yesterday at the post natal group that's run by health visitors. She has gained just over a pound each time she's been weighed and is now 11lbs 12oz at 6 and a half weeks old image I think I'll continue to have her weighed fortnightly for the time being.

Hope evryones doing well x
  • Your most probably find that they come to you at her 18month check as they did with isobel
  • Our HV came and saw us in week 2 but just talked to me about cot death & gave me a whole folder full of leaflets & a birth to 5 book. In my red book they have added a page that says the need 2 be weighed at 8 12 & 16 weeks when they have their imms done and then need doing no more than once a month. I also have 2 take Dylan 2 open clinic if I want him weighing as next time I see HV will be 2 discuss weaning even though I've been there & done it before.

He does get weighed every 4 weeks by his research midwife as he is part of a milk study run by the institute of child health.
  • i love my hv she is fantastic which certainly makes a change from the last one i had she has come out every week since we got home she came 2 weeks ago as i was not feeling up to going to clinic after my surgery our local sure start centre has a baby clinic every week and i took zac for the 1st time on thursday and they were all really nice and hv was more than willing to chat about any problems and she has told me all i need to do is call if i want her to home visit if i have problem/worry or to come and weigh zac if i cant or dont feel up to going out which is pretty good of her image
  • We don't see the HV now until Millie is 8 months. Unless I want to go to a drop-in clinic. I'm not sure if I should be going regularly to get her weighed, what is everyone else doing? She hates it and so do I as we have such a battle every time she gets dressed/undressed - she hates it!

She will have her jabs in about 2 and a half weeks so I guess she'll get weighed then.
  • Hi Loobyloo, I saw your other threads about Millie's response to being dressed, afraid I can't really help as Esme loves being naked, although she does get a bit techy when getting dressed after her bath, probably cos she's fed up of being pulled about and wants to go to sleep.

Not sure if it will help, but when E was born the MV recommended making sure she was never completely naked when changing her - so always a nappy or vest on.

If it's any consolation E wasn't weighed before her injections this morning, I just had to take her bottoms off. It does mean I now need to take her to a clinic to be weigh. It's been about a month and i'd like an idea of how she's doing, esp. as the nurse who gave her injections kept saying how small she was and has got me worried!

Hope you find a solution ,

E x
  • Haven't seen a HV since 10 days. We moved house when Taylor was 4 weeks and it's been a nightmare trying to arrange any kind of check up. I've registered with the doctors and keep ringing to try to book an appointment but the receptionist just says she'll let the baby clinic know and they'll get back to me, Taylor's 9 weeks on thursday and hasn't had her check up or any info about jabs. I don't know what to - I'll call them AGAIN tomorrow I guess! I went to one drop in clinic to get her weighed at 4 weeks and since then I've been putting her on scales myself. She was 12lb 6oz at the weekend. She's nearly out of her 0-3 clothes!

-x-