Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011

Anyone had jabs yet?

Hi ladies,

I'm taking Millie for her first jabs on Thursday. How have people been getting on?

I'm terrified. Wondering whether I should be stocking up on the calpol in advance?

Lou x

Replies

• We've got ours next week, i'm dreading it Tilly is a bit of a screamer the whole street knew when she had her heel prick... :roll: x
  • Esme is an early Feb baby and is nearly due her 2nd lot now. The first weren't too bad, I think they upset me more than more than her! She was a bit unsettled for the rest of the day and wanted lots of cuddles (good for mummy!), I did give her a dose of calpol before she went to bed, just in case, but not sure it was essential.

If you do get some calpol, make sure it comes with a syringe, mine just came with a spoon, which meant most of it ended up up her nose or down her chin!

Good luck, just remember it's for their own good in the long run

E x
  • Yeah I'd stock up on the calpol lou! Better to have it in and not need it thea not have any and wish you had some! Evie had her first jabs 2 wks ago and it was awful. The look of shock and pain on her little face was heartbreaking, she screamed she surgery down, and I cried too! :cry: was awful seeing her like that and not being able to do anything. The nurse suggested some calpol and it dedinately helped. When it wore off we had a bad hour where she jut cried and cried so I gave her another dose and then she was fine and slept well as usual. She was fine the following day too.

I'm dreading the next lot, I want hubby to come too then. If you prepare for the worst you never know she might be a brave girl and not be too bothered, and it may not be as bad as you expect x
  • Marley has he's first jabs a week tomoz. Not looking forward to them because how chilled an relaxed a baby he is. Altho when he had his heal prick at 5days he properly manned up an didnt make a huge fuss he was more annoyed about havin to lay on his belly. Defo leavin OH & DD at home because they'd only flapp it lol
  • Joe cried when he had the jab (so did I!) but was fine straight after.

Later that afternoon his temp shot up to 39 and he cried for a good 4 hours, utterly hysterical and sobbing, it was horrible. In the end (after speaking with doc) it took 2 doses of Calpol and a baby Nurofen to get it down and calm him down. So I would say keep an eye on her temp and get straight in there with Calpol if it starts to go up - by the time I checked his temp it was already really high and the first dose of Calpol didn't do anything.

Sorry, don't mean to be all 'horror story' about it. The jabs themselves aren't too bad. Good luck image x
  • Thanks everyone, well she had them this morning. the jabs themselves were horrid - two nurses attacking her from either side, two injections at same time, I didn't realise they did it like that!

She's been OK. Cried for a while but settled in the car on the way home. Since then she's been a little subdued and definitely not herself, probably slept a bit more than usual, but she's in bed now and just starting to doze off now. I'm gonna stay upstairs with her tonight for my own peace of mind.

Like everyone said - I think its as bad for us mums ha! Thanks everyone, love the support on here! xx
  • glad it wasnt to bad, at my last doc surgery they did the nurse on either side at the same time which i think i much prefered a bit of a surprise but at least it was over in one go at my new doc surgery it was done by the doc he jabbed zac then faffed around getting the next one ready so just as zac was calming down he jabbed him again, i know zac hated it and think i hated it even more, but at least its over for a few more weeks, i have told oh he is taking zac next as hated seeing it happen to him

i to love the support just wish more of us still had the time to be on here image
  • Amelia is booked in for hers on 10th May.

The nurse who does them is hopeless, and faffes around, so I am not looking forward to it at all.

I agree with you Mummynowto5, I wish there were more of us still on here, I'm as bad, as I only get on here around twice a week. But I love the interaction with you all, particularly as my husband works away and I'm at home alone with 3 children. OH not home for another 5 weeks (been gone 2 weeks only, boo :cryimage
  • Oh no Nell it can't be much fun with ur OH working away so much...my hubby is working away for 2 weeks at the start of June and I'm really not looking forward to it! image

Lou - I was shocked when you said 2 nurses gave the injections at the same time! But then as mummynowto5 says at least it's over and done with at the same time...glad to hear Mille coped quite well. Evie has her next lot on the 17th, hubby is going to come then too thankfully! ha x