Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Follow on milk?

Me again.. What are people thoughts on follow on milk? Nancy is FF on Cow & Gate & HV says no need to change to follow on milk, but she's very small(25th centile) and it's a struggle to get 5oz in her each bottle so was wondering if follow on milk would be better? Have been weening since 17 weeks & it's going really well so no probs on that count,but I know her milk is still the most important food! Any one know the actual difference between newborn formula & follow on? Will give Cow & Gate helpline a call but not sure they'll be completely impartial....

Replies

• Hello, It is a bit quite on here nowadays isn't it, the facebook group is quite too.

I have heard that the only reason there are 'Follow on' milks is that companies are not allowed to market/special offers etc.. formula milk for under 6 months (breast it best and all that), so follow on milk is essentially the same stuff, but they can advertise it. E is on Aptamil 1, and their 6+ month stuff appears to be the same price, so unless I see any special offers, think I'm going to stick with what she knows - getting her to sit still for long enough to drink a bottle is already enough of a fight, without introducing more change!

E&E x
  • I was just this morning looking at the follow on milks today in Asda. Jack will be 6 months on the 25th August and he could go onto follow on milk then.

We are currently using the Aptamil Comfort milk as he had suffered badly with constipation and as it seemed to ease the problem we just kind of stuck with it. I'm not sure if we should just stick with that or change over. We have started weaning and it is all going well and he doesn't seem to be suffering with constipation anymore but I am worried if we come off the comfort milk it will crop up again :roll:
  • My sister is a dietician in a childrens hospital and says that Aptamil stages 2 & 3 can give babies constipation.

I had twin boys last september I breast fed them both until 4/5 months but the smaller twin I topped up with Aptamil formula.

They'll be a year and next month and I never changed him to the other stages of formula milk because of my concern of constipation.

The stage 1 formula milk says it can do until 12 months, which is what I did.

• I changed to aptimal follow on milk when Taylor turned 6 months as she loves her solids and it was a struggle to get enough milk down her. As I understand it there is a higher content of the iron and vits etc in a smaller quantity of the follow on milk. It just made me feel a bit better that she was getting what she needed. We haven't had a problem with constipation since we've been on it but the copious amount of fruit she eats probably helps! Hope all your bubbas are doing well, I haven't been on here for ages!