Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Feb 2013
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Little rant- need to vent!

I am so fed up with family saying the most ridiculous things and questioning my choices! MIL is constantly saying things like, "Oh that's a ridiculous price, I just used to make my own!" or, "I just got on with things, ate what I liked etc. and didn't avoid any foods and my children were all perfectly healthy!" My grandma decided to offer her important advice this afternoon of, "Don't have your pram delivered to the house before the baby is born. It's bad luck. I knew a woman who did and her baby died." Seriously! What a stupid thing to say to a pregnant woman! I just wish people would respect my decision to follow current advice and buy what I like when I like and I will decide (with OH of course) what is necessary to buy. Sorry just needed to get that off my chest! x

Replies

• Omg I totally agree, just because we are pregnant it's like we are public property. My family and hubbys family are ok it's everyone else. We've decided to find out the sex and oh my god people are so annoyed by this!!! I have said now that we will find out and just not tell anyone, haha that sends them even more crazy image I just want to tell them to bugger off......maybe I will just saw it and blame it in my hormones image

can't believe your grandma, that is so insensitive! Older people do tend to be the worst. How on earth are you supposed to respond to a comment like that?! Got to forgive your grandma though image

• Oh yeah, finding out the sex was another one! Mum said keeping it a secret is all part of the fun, it's part having a baby! IT IS MY BABY! Hubby doesn't really seem bothered by these comments though. I like the idea of finding out the sex, but hubby wants a surprise. I'm excited for you finding out! Have you got a date for 20 week scan yet? x
  • g/c from DID - I completely understand what you mean, with my first I was told it was bad luck to do the nursery up before baby born... er right ok like I will have time / energy after?? I also had the sceptics about current guidellines being too 'fussy' and didnt doe us any harm comments. 

Just ignore them as best you can, its not necessarily hormones making you sensitive . People really do think you become public property when pg. As long as you and your OH are happy stuff everyone else.  x x x

• 20 week scan is 28th sept, forever away!!! What about yours? My hubby said it's not like I will give birth and he will be like 'oh I knew it was going to be a blah' it's still bloomin exciting we've just had a baby!!! Our baby image xx
  • This is my least favourite part of being pregnant!!

So far my sister has called me selfish for not wanting to find out the sex this time as she needs to be prepared

My Nan told me the other day that I didn't look pregnant at all, just like I'd put weight on everywhere.

Last time I got so much grief for breastfeeding "that baby is hungry, she needs a bottle"

Argh!!!! Just try to ignore it if you can, although it's easier Said than done I know!! X
  • Omg just goes to show regardless of what decision you make for you and your family someone has something to say!! We can't win.....

• Everyone has an opinion on absolutely everything.

As for people commenting about you finding out the sex, just ask them If they would like you to keep the baby in a cupboard until Christmas so that you can bring it out as a 'surprise' gah!!

My 20 week scan is 19th Sept, feels like forever! X
  • That would be a great reply lulu! I can't believe some of the rude things that have been said to you ladies too. I have my 20 week scan on 17th September. I'm going for midwife appointment next wednesday and I'm hoping she'll try to find the heartbeat. xx
  • Lol... We only told people last week, so I'm bracing myself for all the 'helpful' comments!!

Got mixed reactions to the fact that we plan to find out the sex.. Also people started telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing now... I just told everyone I had it covered!

Had my 12 week scn today and measuring 3 days earlier than expected so new EDD is 23rd feb, will prob change again though before the end!!

Booked my 20 week one today for the 9th October..... 8 WEEKS AWAY!!!! Another long wait!
  • hi ladies for those first timmers hear another one when i was pregnant with my son i dont know what it was but because you have this bump i think it gives people the right to invade your space i think as every body just wanted to touch THE BUMP this time im gonna just give people that look that says touch me and i will hit you lol

• Choc11 - got my scan that day too! I'm sick of being told don't lift that ! It's an empty cardboard box -seriously ! Nice for ppl to care but I'm pregnant not stupid! And know im starting to show ppl think touching me is perfectly acceptable , ahhhh rant over!