Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

toddler in big bed?

my son is 18 months and we are ttc, he has a cot bed. i was wondering would he be better of with us getting him a bed, and giving next one his cot bed. im not sure about him being ready, he isnt at the moment.
he isnt a great sleeper and im pretty sure he would just keep getting out! maybe as its a cot bed anyway i will keep him it reagrdless of the next baby and move him when he is ready and just get another cot for baby. what do you think? this didnt cross my mind ,but a friend commented on it and about my son not being potty trained. ' you will have a newborn, and a toddler to potty train and get into big bed, good luck!' that made me think,although she could be just be talking from her own experience.

Replies

• you've still got a while yet so i wouldnt even worry about it.
    im not going to move evie until she is ready, we wont get another cot as there is just no point having 2 cots in the house.
    by the time we have another baby she will be over 2 so i am sure will be in a junior bed by then
    as for the potty training, that again will happen when she is ready, i am hoping by the time a new baby arrives next year we should at least be in pull ups.

xx
  • I would wait til he's ready for moving to a bed and potty training that way it should be easier and hassle free! I think if they're ready to potty train it shouldn't take that long so nothing to worry about like mrs waggy says! New baby will be in a basket or crib for a while so that gives you more time if he needs it. Go with the flow and see what happens x
  • I will not be putting Livvy in a bed any time soon and when the next baby comes (which is at least 9 months away and like Bellah says they will be in a crib for a few months anyway) so I will be keeping her in her cot a good few more months to come and she is not ready for a bed yet anyway but like Rach I am not having two cots in the house.

As for potty training I will start it when I think she is ready and If I have two in nappies so be it image it will not be for long anyway

Gem xx
  • why does it bother you having two cots in the house, just out of curiosity? doesnt bother me but that said carson is a cot bed. im going to have next baby in a travwl cot or baby cot in our room, carson cot bed to big! then move him/her into his cot bed and him into bed i think, i dont want to push him as to soon after baby born couyld upset them i have heard, same with potty trianing.

[Modified by: mrskc on July 31, 2010 11:34 PM]

• It is not that it bothers me but I just do not want to buy another cot when I already have one and I want to spend the money on a bed for Livvy and even If Livvy will still be in her cot(which I doubt it) then I am going to be left with a spare cot once she goes into a bed.

Gem x

[Modified by: xGemx on August 01, 2010 12:03 PM]

[Modified by: xGemx on August 01, 2010 01:13 PM]

• yeah i dont see the point of having 2 cot beds in the house.
    evie can have a new toddler bed and the new baby can have the cotbed.
    our cotbed was over ??350 and a toddler bed is about ??100 so cheaper to just get evie a new bed when she is ready! x
  • i agree, carson will move into big bed when i think he is ready. i will keep second baby in our room and by then i guess he will be ready anyway
  • Our new baby is due April and will be with us for the few months so by the time baby two needs cot Livvy will be in bed anyway.

My MIL is thinking of putting her in a bed at hers when she stays and putting bed rails up so will see what she like then and may cove her bed earlier then what i am thinking.

Gem x