Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

8 week injections .... any advice?

Bethany has her 8wk injections on Weds and ive heard terrible stories about babies screaming all day and falling out of routine or being ill etc etc. Is there anything i should be prepared for? I was going to ask someone else to take her as i cant bear hearing her scream (she had to have lots of blood tests in hosp and it was awful hearing her cry) but i think id rather be there to comfort her so am going to brave it.

Anna & Bethany xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi,
    Dylan cried for maybe 30secs after jabs, then was ok so not a case of the actual inections hurting them. There are lots of very rare side effects etc. but mainly they get a slightly raised temp and can be a little more irritable than usual. Also they are more likely to get ill as in catch a virus from someone, and also nappy rash can appear after jabs. Doc will prob advise you to get some calpol. I bought some and Dylan did have a slight temperatue and was a bit irritable but i didnt feel the need to use it. I got my mum to hold Dylan while he had the jabs as i really hate needles but was in the room. I was crying from before the doc even got needle out until about 10mins after, i think i was more bothered than Dylan! Good luck for weds xx
  • Options
    aw it is horrible seeing it i held rory he cried for like a few seconds, the nurse said he might cry all day or he will sleep i got lucky and rory slept all day and night! lol but like Alice 87 said i got him some calpol to kep his temp down!
  • Options
    Hi Anna,
    Best advice I an give is to try and stay strong. I was such a pansy when B had her injections. The 1st couple of jabs she stopped crying before I did lol. By the next lot I told myself I needed to be strong for her, and I think she picked up on my confidence, because she wasn't bothered at all. B didn't feel unwell till an hr or two afterwards, once she had some calpol, she slept through it. L has her jabs tmrw and I'm nervous already, just have to remind myself of the benefits. Once she's had them, I'll take her temp every 30mins - an hour, so if needed, she have calpol before she gets too upset/ill.
    Hope you'll both be ok
    Hayley x x x
  • Options
    Hi, Noah had his jabs last Wednesday. He cried for a while afterwards, but it was fairly close to his feedtime so I think he was getting hungry too - I should have brought his bottle with me just in case, bad Mummy!! He took a bit less milk for a couple of days, and slept a lot for 2-3 days, and his poops were a bit runnier and smellier, but he had no high temperature or major problems xx
  • Options
    dont worry honey its worse for us than it is for the babies! Evie screamed as they gave her both jabs but 10 seconds later she was fine. we got home and gave her some caplol as the HV said to give her some even if she seemed ok. she was a little grumpy in the day but slept fine, fed fine and was still smiling, so dont worry you lo will be great! xxxx
  • Options
    Gracie cried for about 15mins after - the receptionist even came in to check everything was ok!! She was fine once we got home and slept for a few hours, I gave her some calpol as well. I really am not looking forward to the next lot, but hopefully she will be a little better next time! Every bubba is different though, an as SB says it's more traumatic for us Mums in the long run!!
  • Options
    Hi ladies
    Thanks for the advice - turns out i was worrying about nothing! Beth was fine, cried for like 15 secs after each injection. Gave her calpol as advised by nurse but she was just sleepy, temp didnt go up so i didnt give her a 2nd dose. The only thing i could say is she presented me with 5 poos yesterday morning which must have been down to jabs but shes been fine ever since.