Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Food -still on mush?

Hi ladies

just been thinking about Hannahs eating. She is a bit unpredictable when it comes to eating. she knows what she likes and i worry im stuck giving her the same things over and over.

for breakfast she has a weetabix, half a bannana and cows milk all mushed up followed by toast or a crumpet cut into sticks which she chews ok.

but for lunch and tea i give her mushed up stuff and if we are out its a packet - of 7month stuff. she refuses it if its too lumpy. but she will have grated cheese, bread, crakers in larger bit but not potato or veg or meat. so i end up pureeing this to almost the same consistancy as when first weaning. it worries me that she should be eating our food now and just wondered what others were doing at this stage and if you had any tips?

liz x

Replies

• Options
    I am a bit worried about C too

He does take some lumpier food but he wont take it all like tonight he had adult pasta and wouldnt take it as it was bigger than the annabel karmel pasta I usually give him

I dont think he is very good with his pincer grasp aswell

So I will be looking at the replys from this

Sorry I wasnt much help there!
  • Options
    Not sure if I can advise but I don't mush E's food anymore, I just chop it small, small bits of pasta or rice mixed in for texture, she got 12 teeth so she chews on small bits of meat now too in her meals. She's not keep on vegetables as finger food. If they're cubed she'll eat it off a spoon though!

For finger food I give her mandarin pieces, sliced banana, apple, bread, cheese on toast, sandwiches etc and she has no problems.

I can only think to gradually introduce small lumps into the mush, chop some and mush some and mix it together.

Sorry I'm not sure that helps much! x x
  • Options
    we are at the stage of letting lizzie eat with her fingers,lol. she will spoon feed herself but tends to suck on the spoon and it takes a lifetime and like you we were still giving 7 month stuff.

what we do now is cut potatoe,meat/fish into small cubes and put it all on her plate (got one with sticky bit to stop her theowing it everywhere!) and let her pick it up with her fingers-she eats so much more this way so might be worth a shot. we also put peas and sweetcorn on her plate and she eats these with her fingers too (im convincing myslef it helps her development of her pincer grip,lol)

for pudding she has cut up banana/peaches but if its soya pudding custard or something like that i just feed it to her-mainly to save time/mess!
  • Options
    thanks for the advice ladies. i think im going to try giving her stuff to pick up and eat with her hands - and hopefully develop that pincer!

i tried with some pieces of ham today , just torn up really tiny and that seemed to work. but she wont touch the veg! on christmas day we tore up bits of broccoli and carrot, parsnip etc along with a yorkshire pudding. she ate the whole yorkshire and threw all veg on the floor! mmm im going to have to hide the veges some how!

im a rubbish cook so going to have to get better at meals. was so easy when it was just steam -puree- freeze- deforost-heat!! or maybe organisation is my problem!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about what she should be doing. If she's having a balanced diet including carbs veg and protein in some form that's a great start.

I started giving Elysia finger food right from the beginning (6m for us) and she's reasonably good at it now but it took a LOT of patience and her throwing things on the floor over and over again before they finally made it to her mouth. (I don't mean I picked stuff up for the floor by the way - well not much anyway!) So my tip is basically give her loads of fresh stuff and don't fret about the waste, she'll get it eventually.

Oh, and pincer schmincer, Elysia has been eating Blueberries for ages without the use of a pincer grip!