Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Slow cooker recipes

I got a lovely shiny new slow cooker for Christmas and I've got a recipe book too which I'll be trying out, but I just wondered if anyone had any recipes that they would recommend? Especially nice ones to give to lo too. I'm stuck with dinner ideas for Eva now so I can't wait to use my lovely new toy and churn out loads of yummy food for us all.

Replies

• I love my slow cooker. We've only had it about a month, but I use it at least once a week to do a stew of some description. Our favourite (and the thing I've done the most) is beef stew.

1 onion

2-3 carrots

1 stick of celery (hubby not keen so don't I use this)

5-6 mushrooms

Roughly 6 new potatoes

1 tin chopped tomatoes

Couple of bay-leaves

Glug of Lee & Perrins

500-600g stewing beef

Mixed herbs

1 pt beef or veg stock

1-2 dessert spoons of plain flour

Cut all the veg into chunks and place into slow cooker. You can brown off first, but we find it just as yummy and less time consuming not doing so.

Brown off the stewing/casserole beef in a pan with a bit of oil-I tend to discard most of the juice, but add a little bit to the stock.

Add the beef to the veg. Cover in the pt of stock, add tinned tomatoes and top up with water to cover all veg & meat. Add bay-leaves and Lee & Perrins, and plain flour.

Cook on high for 4-6 hours. Towards end of cooking (about half hour), you can take lid off to allow to thicken. Add mixed herbs if desired.

I sometimes have to remove some of the juice part way through cooking as it bubbles over.

It's always a tasty meal, and my only complaint is that I don't think we bought a big enough slow-cooker, so there's never enough left for freezing for Poppy :lol:

I'm going to get a little more adventurous and try a curry in the new year, I think.

Happy cooking xx
  • Grr-blummin' gremlins! Still haven't fixed the double posts! :roll: xx
  • I got one last Christmas from OH and use it all the time!

One of my favourites for Cam is veg and lentil stew.

carrots

onions

swede

mixed lentils (have to soak in water for 24 hours before cooking)

can of chopped tomatoes

baby veg stock

bung it all in and off it goes!

i use this site all the time for meals too! http://www.slowcookerrecipes.org.uk/slow_cooker_lamb_recipes.htm

xxx