Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What to do-re. birthday.

Sorry for another post on birthdays, but I didn't want to hijack the other thread with my tale of woe.

Christmas day we had water coming up through the floor of our living room and kitchen :cry: Long story short, a plumber came out and couldn't find any leaks/faults with our plumbing image

Turns out next door (has been empty and on the market for 2 years) had their boiler burst and this had flooded through their ceiling and into our house. This has caused the flooring to lift throughout down stairs, as well as wet plaster work on the walls & swelling in the kitchen units. This is just the damage that we can see...it had been leaking/flooded for a while image

For P's birthday, we'll go for a meal as a family on the actual day, possibly with MIL. We were planning on having a party/buffet for family and friends on an open house basis on 8th January.

Because of the mess and smell caused by the flood, we're unable to have guests over now. There's no-one near with a house of similar size that we could 'borrow' for the day either.

As it is my sister's birthday around the same time, she is having a meal on the friday & saturday evening, so I can't even suggest that everyone go out for a meal... :cry: Any suggestions how/where we can celebrate our little lady's first year, at such short notice?? We don't want to do anything too grand either...Thanks xx

Replies

• Oh no wish you were closer honeypops you could of borrowed my house no problems image

Other than that i really can't think of anything to suggest sorry but i did want to say that P is going to have the most amazing birthday no matter where you are and what you do because she has a mummy and daddy that obviously love her so much so just shower her with kisses and hugs and im sure she will be the happiest baby ever xxxxx
  • Aww Honeypops what a rubbish Christmas present image

Is there any good 'day trip' places near you that you could do for her birthday? Like a farm or park or train ride? Or what about a soft play area? especially if baby friends are coming? Or if you go to any baby groups why don't you see if you could borrow the room for a few hours and hold a tea party there? The church halls near us can be hired out for children's parties and all they ask for is a small donation to the church (??10 or so)

Mrs P is right - P will have a great birthday whatever you do so don't stress too much image xxx
  • Thats rubbish!! I am so sorry Honeypops...especially with everything else you have going on!!

I def think flimpo has the best idea...I wanted to do something like that but with Emilia's birthday being on the first everything is closed!

I hope it gets sorted soon, try not to worry P will have the best birthday ever just having her mummy, daddy and all her family with her.

xx
  • Thanks girls. Mrs P, that would have been lovely, thank youimage I guess we could go to the zoo near us, but not sure everyone would be able to afford it so soon after Christmas, and it's very much weather dependent.

I don't really want to hire a hall as there won't be enough of us to fill it, and it would probably look silly. We did soft play for my niece's birthday last week, which was a hit so that's an option.

We've been onto the insurance company today, and have to wait for the loss assessors to get in touch to see what needs doing. Really hoping it can all be done in the next six weeks (yeah right!) as I don't want a newborn and a one year old in a potentially moldy/damp house or a building site image xx
  • i was gonna suggest soft play or if you have any small function rooms near or a family friendly pub for lunch?