Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone looking into toddler beds

i posted in toddler but it seems most of them didnt change until nearly 2!

LO has started climing and has tried climing up the cot a few times now, i am quite worried about hearing a thud and finding him on the floor, the cotbeds on the lowest setting now and i know it will take a bit of strength to climb up but hes suprised us before, i keep being told its too early to get him a toddler bed but i cant help thinking for safety that it might be an idea to get one?

anyone else?

Replies

• i went into one at 9/10 months for that exact reason hun!

i did contemplate one for ems, well putting her cotbed into bed anyways, about a month ago as she started doing the same but the novelty wore off for us luckily.

at the end of the day they say once a baby is trying to climb out of their cot, and physically has the strength to do it you should change them to a bed.

would it be worth giving him a few weeks to see if he stops like ems did? or is he the type that once he can do something he keeps doing it...emmy likes to learn but then isn't interested once she knows she can do it iykwim?

if you think it's in jacobs best interests/safety to change him over then go for it hun, you're the mummy and you know best! xxx
  • my best friend has put her baby into a toddler bed and she finds that her baby sleeps alot better in it. i changed dd1 at 15 months ish.

anyway we have the mammut (from ikea) toddler bed ready for when lizzie needs a toddler bed- it was dd1's which she had for less than a year!

with dd1 we put her cotbed into a bed and put up a cotside (the blue/pink ones you can get from argos) and we alos put a duvet on the floor incase she feel out but she never did.

then when we moved house when she was 2 and half we put her in the toddler bed.

xx
  • thanx ladies, might start looking for one x
  • it is safer to fall from a low bed than the top of a cot side! as mentioned before just put a duvet or line of pillows where he is likely to fall if at all! as soon as my bubba starts doing this i will move her but as of yet there is no sign of her doing this!