Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Accident at nursery :(

Emilie fell out of a 110cm high cotbed onto the floor at nursery today image The explanation I got was that the girl opened the door on her bed, she turned to another child and in that split second she fell out.

Emilie quite unbelievebly is ok, I took her to see the doctor who checked her over. She has a bump on her head and some blood up her nose but other than that she is her happy, chatty self.

I'm really in shock, and upset about it but I had no idea what to say when I went to get her, the people at the nursery were all very upset about it too I didn't want to make a scene. I have an appointment to speak with the manager tomorrow about it. Still not sure what to say! I know Em's a dare devil and will throw herself head first off anything but they should be more careful.

Wierd thing is the same thing happened to a friend of mine at a different daycare a few months ago and the girl involved was immediately sacked by the daycare.

Replies

• awww, poor Emilie, I'm glad she's ok, I bet she'll get lots of cuddles tonight. I can't believe the daycare worker turned to another child if Emilie's bed was open, I suppose accidents do happen but I'd be shocked too.

Let us know how you get on in the meeting! I'm annoyed on your behalf that it happened to one of our lovely jan babies image

• That is my worse nightmare!

I am glad Emilie is OK but that doesn't excuse the worker not keeping an eye on Emilie. I think they all at this age have no sense of danger or what will happen if the do something. She (the nursery worker) should of been concentrating on what she was doing!

I am glad the nursery are addressing the problem and I hope you get the result you want.

We had drama this week when we found out Emilia's childminder had given her chocolate cake. Personal choice with all parents but ours had been not to introduce sweets cake etc... yet and she still gave her it. :evil:

Hope she is fine tonight xxx
  • oh no! glad shes still herself and didnt damage anything, fancy having a cot that high in the first place surely thats a health and safety risk?
  • Hi,

I'm glad Emilie is okay but although accidents and mistakes happen an experienced childcare worker should know never to turn their back on a child in an open cot. I think that some form of discipline or procedure change should definitely take place to assure you it won't happen again. It is so easily preventable that it really should never have happened in the first place.