Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

O/T - Money advice

Hi ladies,

I hope you and lo's (and bumps) are all well.

I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of advice as I'm so confused about what to do.

Basically, my oh worked for a company for 6 weeks in Nov/Dec and was only paid for 4 weeks work. At first his old boss refused to give him any payslips or a P45. However after sending a couple of letters asking for them together with his outstanding wages we finally got a reply with the pay slips and P45, but no money. The letter stated that he would be paid the money but no definate date could be given as money was tight and my oh was not a priority. This was at the end of January.

Today, I found out that as of Monday next week his old boss/company will be going bust. Where do we stand? I did have a letter ready to post to him tomorrow giving 7 days for payment or we would pursue the matter through the small claims court. I have also written a letter to the Inland Revenue reporting his old boss, as by producing a P45 with the full 6 weeks pay/tax etc on it he is esentially commiting fraud.

Any idea where we stand with this now? Do we contact the liquidators and join the queue of people that he owes money to? Or do we admit defeat and just accept the fact that we will never get the money?

Thanks for reading my ramble.

Replies

• I'm sorry this guy is being such a dick. I don't really know where you would stand I'm afraid but my guess would be that you would just join a list of people that he owes money to and you would be lucky to see much if any of it, depending on whether the company was limited or not (I think) makes a difference to whether he can be held personally responsible for paying his debts or whether its the company. As I say though that is just a guess and someone else may tell you otherwise.

Good luck, I hope you manage to get it.
  • I think the first place you should be going is to the CAB. they will give you clear advice and help on what to do in this matter. your husband woiuld have to go with you though as they wont disscuss it with you without him there.

hope you get it sorted xx
  • i would go to the CAB but i would have thought its a case of joining the queue and you will probably be pretty far down, i still would however contact the inland revenue about his unpaid wages so they dont show in his earnings esp x
  • Def the CAB, they will be able to speak to OH and offer advice regarding how to cliam the money back. I would take copies of all the letters you have sent and any he has sent to you as well.

I would think that if he has gone bust he will have the name of the Liquidation company - hopefully he will give you that (or maybe inland revenue will have a record??) and you can contact them. Hopefully they will be able to help

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on

xxx