Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

tantrums, how are you tackling them?

LO had started to tantrum when he doent get his own way or gets told off, he will screach really loud and cry paddy style, i have tried telling him no but it doesn really do anygood so i have started to ignore it at home but it can last ages and i want to knock it on the head now really

any ideas?

Replies

• touch wood lizzie has thrown a paddy outside yet but i will do what i do with dd1- if its because she has been told no and if she continues we will go home- she has to the count of 3 and if she doesnt stop-we go home!

at 18 months i will start time out at home. in the supermarket (dd1's fav place to throw a paddy) i get down to her level tell her way her behaviour is unacceptable and ask her if she understands. this is normally enough to stop any paddy.

i am strict, i dont talk down to my children i calmly explain why i have said no/why it cant happen ect, i dont smack or anything and i like to deal with it there and then so they know why- (i mean i wont stop them having the tv on when we get home as they have forgotten by then what went wrong,lol)

• I wish I could distract E!! She had a full blown tantrum in the shopping centre a few weeks as we walked out of the early learning centre. I let her roll around on the floor screaming and walked away-she soon followed!

I have no idea how to stop it, even our health visitor was shocked at how bad and early the terrible two's seem to have struck.

I was starting to think that it was something to do with my style of parenting but my mum reassured me that I was like E but none of my siblings were so I think it is partly a personality think.

At home I have tried sitting her on the bottom step of the stairs and shutting myself in another room and counting to 60, by this time she seems to have snapped out of it and just cries because she is on her own. I don't like doing it but it does make her forget what she was paddying about!

So I don't really have any advice but you're definetely not on your own!

• jo jo that reminds me of the sex in the city where charlotee locks herself in the pantry :lol:

in a way i am glad its now and not when the next arrives, i dont think he is quite at the stage of understanding just yet though hope it wont be long!
  • I think once they can communicate better it will get easier as they won't be so frustrated trying to explain what they want.

Oh, and the hv said that those who do have mega tantrums at this age are often quite advanced and are too clever for there bodies!! I think she was trying to make me feel better!! Next time your LO's are throwing themselves on the floor or banging there head against the door think 'oh they're just advanced'!! image
  • with a proud mummy grin :lol:
  • Sasha is not quite at full blown paddy stage yet but she does throw herself on the floor in a rather dramatic fashion when she wants something she can't have. Dd1 was quite the tantrum queen for a while, and she can still throw a good one if the mood takes her, my stratergy is too just ignore it as far as possible. When she was 2 she had a massive one outside in the middle of the street, and I just stood next to her ignoring her (I got some very dirty looks, but what you gonna do?), anyway after a few mins I just bent down and said to her quietly, 'are you finished, shall we go now?' and she just got up and followed me. I don't think there is much more you can do really, just calm explanations and time outs.
  • A fee weeks ago we had full blown tantrums constantly. If he didn't get his own way he would hit people, headbut and throw himself on the floor! He has never seen anyone hit or headbut so I'm not sure why he started it! Ha! My Hubby and I were at a loss with what to do! We then started to put him in the middle of the floor in the living room ( where he was safe) and applied the ignore tactic' we had a terrible week of screaming almost all day but thankfully he started to calm down much quicker! Now when I say no he doesn't automatically hit me and start screaming! And if he has a tantrum it doesn't last 30mins plus! Arthur is a child who is so wilful he can't be distracted! Xxx
  • Emilia is blessed with an Italian temper and my goodness she can use it!!

We have been having frequent throwing herself on the floor and banging her hands and feet, sulking, and yesterday's new thing was going into her room and shutting the door on me! Screaming is also a favourite!

I have just been ignoring the throwing herslef on the floor no matter where we are. If we are out I just stand and wait until she has finished not making eye contact. It has started working and her length of time rolling on the floor has decreased.

If she is doing something naughty then I juat do a firm no and move/take what ever it is she is being naughty with.

I am hoping as she gets better at speaking she will calm down soon. I think when she is a bit bigger she will def be a candidate for the naughty seat!!
  • Cam is tantrum central too at the moment! He's doing it at home and at nursery! He's particularly bad at going into the kitchen and shouting and pointing to his food cupboard and then if I tell him it's not lunch time and usher him out he screams, throws himself on the floor, rolls around etc, it's like the end of the world! He does the exact same thing at the nursery kitchen door too! Not a hunger thing though because if you actually give him food it ends up hidden behind something!

The other times tantrums start are when he seems to be unable to communicate what he wants and you can see him getting frustrated and then it's all go. if we're out and about he'll throw a wobbley when we have to get back in the pushchair after walking for a bit.

I mostly try to not react to him and just go over and sit and play with one of his toys until he comes back over or sometimes just pick him up and carry on doing bits round the house with him on my hip! xx
  • i think i might try time out and see how that goes, he had two huge paddys today over nothing and they both lasted ages!