Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Refusing food

Hello ladies, hope you're all well & your lo's are keeping you busy? Just wondering what your experiences are with your lo's refusing food when they're teething? Pops is cutting her molars at the moment, and is eating very little. She doesn't appear to be bothered by her lack of food either.

She seems to be picking at bits, having a few spoon fulls/bites then refusing. We've used dentinox gel before meals, but seems to make little difference. It also makes little difference if she feeds herself or not. She tends to refuse food only when poorly normally, but she's ok in herself.

Do we just continue letting her eat what & how much she wants to & hope it will pass? I'm worried if we make an issue of her refusing food it will become a game/way of exerting her 'authority' :lol: what are your experiences with your lo's when cutting teeth?xx

Replies

• Hi Honeypops,

Hope you and your gorgeous girls are well

I would just let her eat what she wants - as you rightly say, creating a fuss may cause issues later on - I have learn't that one the hard way!

Emilia went through a stage a refusing to eat and I really do think it was partly my fault for getting so uptight when she wouldn't eat what I classed as a proper meal! :roll: In the end it ended up with us both totally stressed when it came to meal times!

To be fair to Emilia, her appetite was low, and she was confused. Nursery had been letting her feed herself and we thought she still needed us to help her! Doesn't help that she is as stubbon as a mule!

I just had to keep telling myself that she will eat if she is hungry, frustrating though!!!

I am sure once her molars are through she will pick up a bit. We are still getting our front ones and thankfully teething hasn't been to bad for us just 'painfully' slow!

xx
  • hey!!!

we r going through the 'lets chuck everything on the floor' stage!!!! its sooooo annoying!! jasmine is refusing quite alot at the moment due to teeth so im kn=ind of letting her feed herself as she is refusing the spoon.

she had a bug a few weeks ago and threw up tonnes of pasta, now she wont even touch it!! it was her favourite meal as well! so frustrating sometimes.

she ate all of her dinner tonight which was nice because i hate the thought of her going to bed without it.

hope things improve for u soon xxx
  • Arthur is also throwing food on the floor! I know he loves it but before he even tastes it, it's on the floor! I think it's more of a learning thing than his teeth! Although I could be wrong. I hope it passes soon xxx
  • Thank you for all your advice and comments. I'm pleased to report that eating has improved enormously over the past few days image She still refuses certain things, but it's a vast improvement.

The night time wakings have also ceased, so I'm guessing the teeth may have cut (although I've not been brave enough to put my finger in to check, and keep forgetting to ask hubby when he does :roll: ).

Hope things have improved for everyone else? I'm going to put it all down to teething until proven otherwise...these babies certainly keep us on our toes :lol: xx