Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

food how much and when

hi everyone my lo has a small appetite

after an 8 oz bottle she isnt hungry for atleast 3 hours or more.

after a jar of food she will not want food for about 4 hours ,actually i dont remember her begging for food and ever scoffing it in fast ( would love it though)

should i leave her hungry until shes desperate or just feed her every 3 hours ( with a little struggle )

how are your los doing would love some feedback

Replies

• Hey,

We don't have a little appetite, but I know alsot of mums who's babies/toddlers don't have snacks just breakfast, lunch and dinner, and they are fine. Is she gainig weight????

Our typical day is :-

7:30-8:00 Breakfast of two weetabix, and fruit. She will also have beaker full of milk

9:30-10:00 Toast

12:30-1:00 Hot lunch like bolognase, casserole etc...followed by yoghurt

2:30 Snack of fruit dried/fresh

5:00 Tea either pasta or toastie, salad with fruit for pudding

6:30 Beaker full of milk

(If she doesn't eat her lunch or dinner then she won't get a snack during the day)

Its not till I write it down I realise how much Emilia eats and she is only 22lbs!!! Emilia has chosen this pattern and what she eats. I personally wish she would eat slightly less would save me fortune in nappys!!
  • We have just stopped lizzie having a bottle and are giving her milk in her sippy cup and we dont really keep an eye on how much she is having, sometimes she has a few sips sometimes she drinks the whole lot!

anyway as follows is a typical day

6am- milk

7:30am- breakfast (either readybrek or a slice of toast with spread)

10am a small snack-normally a banana or a pink biscuit

12:30- lunch, sandwich with chickpea pate or tuna and rice cakes. she also has pudding-a soya yog or soya pudding.

4pm dinner- always a cooked meal either what we are having or chicken new potatoes and veg, pudding- either soya custard or dairy free ice cream

6pm milk in her sippy cup then she goes to bed straight after.
  • we usually have something like this

brekkie - milky tea and a bowl of cereal like cherios

mid morning - fruit smoothie and a biscuit or fruit

lunch - scrambled egg on toast or spaggetii on toast or something similar as hes gone off sarnies recently and juice with maybe a banana for pud

mid afternoon - juice or milky tea with fruit or a cake/biscuit

tea - macaroni cheese or spag bol or meat and veg (mostly eats the meat :lol: ) and a pud like rice pud or yogurt and a juice

bed - about 9oz warm cows milk

we also have juice regulary throughout the day, he asks when he want a drink thrusting his beaker at me we have a good 4+ beakers inbetween meals

LO doesnt like to be fed so most of it is finger food or very messy food! havent been able to get away with a jar since about 7 months! is it formula you are giving, if so it might be worth changing to cows milk if poss as the formula would fill her up so she wont want to eat or feel hungry
  • hi, my LO has a very small appetite-so much so that we have had the health visitor round to try and give us ideas to get food into her (she was losing weight at the time).

Some of the things she suggested were:

-only giving a small amount of milk before breakfast so she doesn't fill herself up

-not giving snacks between meals (we had tried giving them previously and it meant she was eating much less at meal times). Only you can really judge which works better for your lo

-putting really small amounts of food on her plate at meal times so she's not overwhelmed and then giving more if she eats it (this is the best bit of advice she gave us and that night lo cleared her plate for the first time and had seconds!)

-keep a food diary, sometimes they are actually eating more than you think when you see it written down on paper.

if you're worried take a food diary to your hv and ask for their advice, we were told that our LO is just going to be petite (she is still under 20lb and very slim)and doesn't need great amounts of food. As long as they're healthy and happy they're fine.

oh, and she said children this age won't starve themself-sounds obvious but when you're battling with a toddler every meal time it can feel like like they are.

hope this helps a little, Im sure we had other suggestions and if i remember them i'll let you know!!