Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyones LO still have dummy?

as title says,lol

Lizzie still has a dummy for sleeping and nap times,she doesnt have it at other times but tonight i have just put her to bed without it!!! she does go to bed early as she is a very good sleeper (with her dummy) and although it takes a while for her to fall off to sleep i find it better than having her up and over tired.

she is upstairs and i can hear her whinging a little but no big crys or screams YET!

so does anyone elses lo have a dummy or how did you get rid of it and when?

Replies

• Flynn still has a dummy at bed time. He's not that attached to it, so I don't mind that he still has it.
  • Neither of mine would ever take a dummy, but I remember seeing of one of those nanny programmes that one thing you could try was to cut the top, do one cut first, then the next day do another cut the other way so its like a cross. Then it was something to do with them not being able to suck it the same so they ditch it themselves. I think thats how it went anyway.
  • Cam still has a dummy for nap times and in the car but not for play (we always put it on the windowsill at the top of the stairs and say bye bye do do image). I do want to get rid of it at night as he chucks in out in his bed and i have to get up 4/5 times to retrieve it for him but just need to decide when!! x
  • I ditched DDs dummy when she was 14 months as I wanted it gone before she could ask for it. I was surprised by how easy it was.

I tried the making a hole thing but it just made her cross so I took it away. The first night she needed a few extra cuddles and it took her a bit longer with a bit of moaning (but not crying) to get to sleep. The next night was better and by the third night she'd forgotten all about it.

I'm really glad I did it because now she's starting to use words and is getting much more demanding!

Mrs B xxx
  • well i am very very pleased to say how well it has gone!!! within about 15-20mins Lizzie was sound asleep without a dummy and didnt wake at all during the night! we have been out all day today and went back to my mums for a rest before meeting daddy for soft play this afternoon and i put lizzie down in her travel cot at mymums house and again she fell asleep fine after chattering to herself for about 15 mins.

so its night 2 tonight of no dummy and i have high hopes that it will all go well!!!

I am so proud of myself for taking the step and doing it and even more proud of hpow lizzie has handled it image

with dd1,she was 2 and half before we hung her dummys on the tree in exchange for a special present from santa and i think this has actually been easier as there was no discussion to be had with a 17 month old,lol

• glad its going well, LO loves his dummy and i dont intend to try ditching it until xmas esp with the new baby coming x
  • Arthur also loves his dummy! It provides him with instant comfort! I think it was even his first word! He calls it dude! I don't intend on trying to take it off him until he is older! I don't see it as a problem. Im glad lizzy is doing well without it xx
  • Emilie still has hers for bed and nap times. I want to get rid of it but haven't the nerve yet! This week we've stopped using her lightshow to help get her to sleep so I see that as a step in the right direction! X
  • After all that... Arthur seems to have decided not to use his dummy anymore! I think it's because he is teething so watch this space! I wonder if the dummy will return when the teething finishes! X