Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Worried that my baby is getting bored

Lately I've been starting to worry that Eva isn't getting enough stimulation and is getting bored. We don't have many toys for her, but have a bouncy chair, a door bouncer and a walker (which she absolutely loves, there's no stopping her when she's in it now that her feet touch the floor). Other than the walker, she gets really irritable after about 10 mins when we're doing anything else. She doesn't really like being on the floor and there are only so many times she can sit on my lap while I sing 'Row row row your boat' to her. She won't sit still long enough for me to read to her or even just show her the pictures.

She is teething at the moment which may acount for the fact that she's not overly interested in doing anything, and the fact that she's pretty grumpy a lot of the time.

I just don't know what else I can do to entertain her. We do go for walks around our village but can't really go anywhere else as my hubby has the car for work and we live in the middle of nowhere and buses are few and far between.

Any ideas?

Vickie and (a grumpy) Eva x

Replies

• I'm glad I'm not the only one!

James will sit in the jumperoo for the longest, but anything else he gets bored reasonably quickly most of the time.

I just keep rotating him really. Jumperoo, bouncy chair, playmat, door bouncer. He doesn't show interest in me reading to him, but likes me singing.

So I take him with me when I say make bottles up, and sing while I do it. He gets to look at a different room and I get the job done. Haven't figured out how to count scoops of formula, whilst still singing yet, so he does get grumpy sometimes!

Recently he starts to scream when he's tired, not just a normal cry anymore. So I then have to hold him and walk him round. Sometimes he'll go off to sleep, other times I can then put him down in/on another toy!

I do find it hard to entertain him/keep his concentration.

Can you sit and have a coffee somewhere, allowing Eva to watch the world go by? Do you have any mummy friends close by, or who could meet you in the village? You might have to invest in a bike, a baby carrier, and get on the road! :lol: ;\)

I'll be interested in others replies. xx
  • I bought Cam the moosical beads cow earlier in the week and he loves that! Infact anything that makes noise is a winner for us. We've got a whole box of little toys that make sounds in one way or another. If he's on his mat i just put them all out and he'll reach out for whatever he wants, chew it, thrash it around, chuck it and get another one. He's happy doing that for the best part of an hour somedays!

He really likes his little tikes actvity gym (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9241389/c_1/1|category_root|Nursery|14417537/c_2/3|cat_15701330|Baby+toys|14417556.htm) too - that keeps him busy for ages but i have to put stuff behind the bit he kicks because he's so strong that it goes flying across the room if i dont!

I also got him an activity nest which he likes being in in a sitting position. If i'm with him directly i'll keep proping him back up when he falls but if i need to wash up or something i stuff the sides of him with blankets so he stays upright and he's happy as larry. Or i put him in it on him tummy so he's peaking out. It has crinkly/squeaky bits around the side to keep him entertained.

Loves his door bouncer , more so than his jumperoo. And also enjoys sitting in his highchair after meals watching mummy cleaning up. Or on my bed as i tidy the bedroom or put away clothes.

He went through a couple of weeks where nothing was good enough though and where he just wanted to be on me but he's been great the last week or so. xxxx
  • Hi,

My dd was exactly the same and I can't offer a magic remedy except that she did grow out of it gradually. I remember when she was 4 months it was Christmas and we spent a lot of time dancing to Christmas songs just to keep her occupied.

Someone told me it's a difference between boys and girls. Apparently boys can entertain themselves but girls can't, it's certainly been my experience as Sebastian keeps himself happy for hours at a time (normally playing with his willy though maybe that's the difference image) but maybe it's just down to different personalities. Wonder if anyone can sustantiate this myth or not?

If it's any consolation my daughter is now 2 1/2 and plays by herself lovely so you've only got another 20 something months to go!!
  • G/C from born in Feb

mummypiglit - my baby boy will not entertain himself so I can't prove your theory too. I have a theory that 2nd babies learn to entertain themselves more as they sometimes have to wait while mummy sorts out older siblings, whereas a first baby gets 100 % attention all the time and grows used to that. Just a theory