Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010

Hair loss

Oh my goodness! For the last two weeks I've been loosing probably 2 or 3 times more hair than I usually do and it's starting to freak me out a little. I've heard that this can happen after childbirth and was wondering if it has happened to anyone else and how long did it go on for? I've got thick hair so I've not noticed it looking any thinner or patchy but am concerned that it soon might.

Humph, another thing to add to the list of things pregnancy does to your body!

Replies

• Yes i'm losing hair have been for a couple of weeks now, i was at the hairdressers lately and we were talking about this i have loads of hair so don't mind losing some, i am noticing sooooo much more in the plug hole after a shower and in my brush after brushing my hair!!!

xx
  • Me to its happening to me!
  • I'm there too...I usually molt a little at this time of year anyway so think its doubly as bad! Not too worried, could do with a little less, I'm getting hair headaches now when I've got my hair in a ponytail - trip to hairdressers LONG overdue!

Think it should die down in a couple of months...apparently you shed less while pregnant so there's a bit extra in there to get rid of too...don't worry!

• After posting on here I did a little research and it makes sense to loose it now as the hormones in pregnancy prevented the hairs from falling out. I read that it only is an issue to go to the GP about when new hairs don't grow back and there are shiny patches on the scalp.

It's horrible but I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  • I've been losing LOADS of hair. I had a miscarriage in July 2008, and the same happened then. It stopped 6 months after the mc. I've now got lots of short bits underneath, where that hair is growing back, they're very annoying! image Ah well, I've got a gorgeous cuddly baby to compensate. image
  • This is happening to me too! I couldn't work out why, as I look after my hair really well (I have a natural afro!) and it has been falling out the past couple of weeks. I had started taking Biotin for Ava's cradlecap, and it cleared up immediately, and it's meant to make your hair grow so I didn't know why mine was falling out until now. I hope it stops soon.
  • still happening to me too!!! its been going on for 2 months now and wish it wud stop!!!!xxx
  • and me. Arthur is covered in it all the time. its so irritating xxx
  • I was just about to ask if anyone had this problem. Thank god I'm not the only one, was beginning to feel a bit of a freak.
  • Me and Cam are both losing our hair!! My hairdressers response was 'thank god for that.' lol. I had really thick hair before I was pregnant but uber thickened while I was pregnant and only takes about 2 weeks for a fresh hair cut to look really heavy - just hope it doesn't get too thin now! Cam had soo much hair when he was born that you couldn't see his scalp but it's falling out now and i think that with that and his head growing disproportionately to his hair is really changing the way he looks. He's still a cuite though!! image