Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

My birth story (also in DIJ)

Hi all

As promised here's the tale of how Dylan arrived into this world.

Due to high levels of excess fluid I was admitted for induction last Wednesday, fully expecting (naively) to be home with a baby by Friday at the latest. We arrived at the hospital at 8am as instructed and sat around waiting for someone to come and see us. When the midwife found out about my condition she was reluctant to give the first pessary without speaking to a dr first, so we waited, and waited, and waited... and finally at 4:30pm I was given the first pessary! Went for a walk around as instructed returning every hour for monitoring. Later in the evening I was getting some tightenings but was told that this was just the weight pressing down. Then was told that it was too late to give me anotther pessary and that I would have to wait until the following morning

So Thursday morning dawns, my OH arrives back and I am given the 2nd pessary, and we wait (you get the picture by now) and ....nothing. So I spend another night in hospital, I have a history of issues with my cervix being reached all of which I had told the dr's on several occastions so by now the examinations were getting quite painful to put it mildly. After a fairly sleepless night I had made the decision that the best course of action was a c-section as I was tired and genuinley thought that this was best for baby. Much discussion with drs and at 10am I was in the labour ward on a Syntocin drip (no c-section planned yet). As I was on the drip I had to be constantly monitored, I was getting contractions but could not feel anything at this stage. The drip was turned up by 1ml every 30 minutes to try and encourgage things to progress a bit faster. I had my waters artificially ruptured at 12:45 and boy was there a lot, it was still going at 5pm How they managed to break them is beyond me sa my cervix was still closed and behind the baby's head, but still it felt good and was amusing to watch my bump deflate like a balloon By this time my drip was on the maximum of 20ml that the midwife can deliver without intervention by the dr's. So the dr's returned at 6pm and advised that the drip could be turned up to speed things along, they would then come back at 10pm and make a decision if nothing had happened. So eventually the drip was turned up to 34ml and things really started to kick off, I was getting contractions every 2 minutes by 9:30pm and was in a lot of pain and very tired, as there was still a possibility that I would need to sign a consent for a c-section I couldnot have any other pain releif other than gas and air.

The dr finally came back at 10pm and examined me, I had only dilated from 3-4cm in 12 hours, so a c-section it was. The forms were quickly signed, my OH gowned up and I was taken to theatre. It was pretty much plain sailing from then on thankfully and Dylan George ******* was born at 10:56pm weighing 7lb 8.5oz.

All in all it wasn't the best experience every but having a beautiful son more then makes up for it and I would do it all again for him tomorrow.

Hope I haven't made you slip into a coma

Kay and Dylan 1 week

Replies

• Options
    Hi Kay

Congratulations again!

Sorry things didn't go uite to plan but like you said havin gorgeous babies more than makes up for it image

I had the Syntocin too - makes contractions really painful doesn't it!? image

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png