Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

how early?

is too early to drop all nighttime feeds for LO?

i started dreamfeeding my LO at 4 and half weeks and at 5 and a half weeks she dropped her only through the night bottle (4am) and was basically sleeping 8pm-7am (with a 10.30/11pm dreamfeed) but the past 4/5 days i've been really struggling to get more than 30mls into her at her dreamfeed. last night i gave up after 20mls fully expecting her to wke during the night being hungry but apart from a little whimper at 4.50am (where she settled herself back off) she didn't wake.

if this had happened last week i would've been quite confident about giving her another few nights of dreamfeeding to see if it picked back up or if it tailed off more and then letting her go the whole night if she wanted, howevver...my HV came out last week and she had a right go at me telling me i should be waking LO every 3 hours for a feed coz i'd left her so long without one during the night?! now i'm a firm believer of letting the baby let you know what they want and when but the HV has made me question that now :cry:

what would you do? would you let a 6 and a half week old go a full 12 hours through the night if they were happy to or would you keep trying to do a late night feed?

(p.s - she was only 6lbs9oz born at 41 weeks but has been steadily putting on weight and is a perfectly happy content baby so am i just being silly letting health visitor upset me when i was so proud she was sleeping 8 hours at 5 weeks old?)

Replies

• i think its more about when your baby is ready than what age, i think it is quite rare to sleep throught that early but it must happen for some lucky mums!!

if she is getting plenty in the day i wouldnt worry too much, i would think she would wake if she was hungry. i would only be worried if she wasnt taking much in the day and was sleeping due to lack of food as appossed to contentment, your HV sounds like a right noddy!!! feeding on demand is what is advised not walking a baby silly moo she is!!

your a very lucky mummmy!!!
  • Hello - I agree. If you're LO is anything like mine they'll let you know if they are hungry in the night!! If Cam wasn't waking up during the night , I definitely wouldn't wake him for a feed! However, as it is he lets us know it's time for a bottle loud and clear at 4am everyday image xx
  • I agree with the other girls, your lo will let you know if she's hungry. My motto is never wake a sleeping baby, unless you really really have to! As Piggy says if she's feeding well in the day, I think it's 6 feeds in 24 hours, then I wouldn't worry. James dropped a 2am-ish feed on his own. He naturally wakes between 10 and 12 usually for a late feed, then will go until at least 6. xx mithical and James 5 weeks and 3 days.