Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Christmas/birthday presents

We've been really stuck as to what to get Poppy for christmas & birthday, knowing that she's most likely to be more interested in the boxes & wrapping paper. We're thinking of getting her 'educational toys', such as an activity cube./shape sorters. We're hoping these will last and be fun. Hubby is really keen that we don't have lots of plastic/battery operated things too, so we're looking at mainly wooden toys. We were also thinking of books and clothes for her.

Do you think that it would be ok to tell people that this is what we would like for her if they ask? What do you think of our plans? I know how easy it would be to go out and buy loads of stuff because I can, but also know that because her birthday is so close to christmas, we're not going to be buying loads of toys for another year (obviously, we'll pick bits up here & there :lol: ) Sorry this seems a bit rambling, finding it difficult to express what I'm trying to say today (darn baby brain!)xx

Edited to ask if any of you have any other ideas along these lines for us? We've mainly looked at mothercare's range on-line! Thanks xx

[Modified by: honeyPops on 16 September 2010 16:44:05 ]

Replies

• We bought Emmy her trike for Christmas but it was on offer with thirty pounds off and I had a little stars twenty percent off code so she's had it for quite a while now to take advantage of the nice weather lol but we are just getting some little things. We've got stacking cups, a Teddy bear ring stacker, a shape sorter and this whale that's anshape sorter boat squirty bath toy all in one. I think that's about all we will buy as birthday is on the seventh.

For birthday I did have a sit and spin zebra for her but she's nowhere near tall enough so having to get something else. I'm thinking a trampoline and we want a wooden train set.

I definitely think you should tell people what you want as I am seething with my family as I wanted to get doll buggy and tea set for her as she likes to feed her gloworm, but these were first doll etc so I was dead excited and my mother and aunt have went out and bought them! My mother also knowing I wanted to buy a proper rocking horse has also bought her a sodding rocking snail or something from mamas and papas and spoiled that too....she's also went and bought her a pair of shoes in Florida today even though I still haven't got her first pair yet! They're doing my head in taking away all my firsts image

Sorry for the rant there! Lol but there might be some ideas in it too xxx
  • Hi hun, we've been having a think as well. If people ask what you would like for Poppy, then they obviously won't mind you telling them what you'd prefer. Sounds like a good plan. You want to get some use out of the toys, rather than Sorry losing interest after 5 minutes. We've been thinking of pull/push along toys, ball pool, trike (along with every parent in the country! :lol: ), shape sorter, and I'd like him to have one of the Baby laptops. :\) HTH xx
  • We've got a lovely rocking horse, well ordered it anyway and waiting for it to arrive. Its this one

http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+Pink-Infant-Rocking-Horse+B9102

I've also got a couple of outfits and some pj's and slippers.

I'll get a few toys too, I also like the wooden ones.

We'll probably save the trike for her birthday.
  • Yeah the trike will be for birthday as well. x
  • I like the idea of the trike, but hubby's not so keen...seems to think she won't get enough use out of it :\? I like the idea of push/pull along things, maybe something along the lines of this:

http://www.mothercare.com/Early-Learning-Centre-Wooden-Toddle/dp/B0038X4YRG/sr=1-13/qid=1284662746/ref=sr_1_13/278-2499872-7264855?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

as I remember having something similar as a child. Sarah-jb, I REALLY LOVE the rocking horse, so may show hubby and see what he thinks. I also like the idea of new pj's and slippers for christmas eve. Oooh, I'm getting quite excited about it all now, but fear I'll have to start shopping soon before I either get too big, or my pelvis packs in altogether :roll:

Thanks for the ideas ladies, keep them coming xx ;\)
  • The blocks push along, always popular! :\)

I lile this shape sorter, as opposed to the ones that have numbers and letters as well. Why confuse things so early on?! :lol:

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Wooden-Shape-Sorter/dp/B002QQTS18/sr=1-3/qid=1284664010/ref=sr_1_3/276-3940903-5008518?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

I'm guessing that's the one you had in mind... xx
  • Are you thinking of just getting the basic trike for a baby like Hun? If so why not get a three in one one that goes from parent push with handle to a proper trike? They're only about ten pounds more than the other ones and will therefore last for ages, I believe mine is unto four or five years! Also if you buy a pack of little stars yoghurts and get it from ELC you could get an extra twenty percent off xxx
  • mia's mummy, I think we posted at the same time! I like the idea of bath toys & maybe musical instruments-xylophone, bells, maracas and things like that too! Mithical, that's more or less what we have in mind. I've set my heart on this I think too, as I think it's a toy that can grow with her, iyswim?

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Wooden-Activity-Cube/dp/B003XE6EN2/sr=1-25/qid=1284669409/ref=sr_1_25/278-2499872-7264855?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

Thanks xx

Edited the link because I really am such a muppet, and didn't post the right one....I didn't set my heart on ALL the wooden toys in the mothercare range, just the one above :lol: xx

[Modified by: honeyPops on September 16, 2010 09:38 PM]

• hello for xmas we have got a ball pit and balls, a train set and a talking nursery rhyme book, i dont think we will get much more as he'll be more interested in the boxes anyway

for his birthday a week later image hes getting a trike x

its certainly fine to say what you want if anyone asks,
  • Just think hubby's not too keen on the trike idea full stop, to be honest Jemmykins. Not sure why, but likely due to the lack of space we have already :lol: PP, it sounds like you've got the balance just about right, it's so tempting to spend a fortune. Ps. about to do an FAO for you :lol: xx

Edited because I didn't get my facts right! Was going to ask if it was you looking for sleeping bags higher than 2.5 togs, as I thought I'd found 3 tog ones. Unfortunately, it just says 3 togs to tease, and there aren't actually any :lol: Not even sure if it was you who was looking-doh!xx

[Modified by: honeyPops on September 16, 2010 08:38 PM]

• Lol I know the feeling with lack of space but I don't listen to him, his things can go live in the shed...why a bike needs to live in the hall cupboard is beyond me anyways haha plus I just order things I want them tell him when it's too late, I'm naughty lol
  • Yeah the activity cube can grow with lo. I'm not just looking at the right age range either. I appreciate toys with small parts etc., aren't suitable. But we bought James a mobile phone toy the other day meant for 18 months. He likes the lights, sounds, oh and I think it must taste nice. image He'll learn to play with it properly, but for the moment it still keeps him occupied! xx
  • Loving this thread! Thanks ladies...have stolen a load of your ideas.

We bought Sara some merracca's and a tambourine last week and she loves them, use is limited to approx an hr a day otherwise I go mental. Think I'll be putting ear defenders on my christmas list as we plan to get her a xylophone too!

• Hee hee! Toys are always better when they taste nice! Sometimes I think the ages are meant because of the development level, rather than the danger. I think us mummies have enough common sense not to give something to our lo's that would put them at risk. Thanks for posting mithical, you made me realise the link was wrong (well, I think it was-I've just changed it to what I think is the right one, but reading your post back, you got the gist anyway :lol: !) xx
  • yep it was me, there are some 3 togs out there but i refuse to pay 30odd quid for one when i can get a 2.5tog for a tenner! when it gets colder i'm just gonna get some fleecy pjs x
  • I actually didn't think about the noise/madness factor :lol: Although I may consider asking hubby to bring some ear defenders home from work! Limiting the time of play sounds like a great idea, although Pops has started tantrumming/squeeling if you take something off her now!!

Fleecy pj's are the future. Pops' room is only 17c tonight, and was 16c this morning. Definitely time for the heating soon me thinks!

Apologies for all the edits & spelling mistakes, I'm getting distracted by all the kicks I'm getting (and it's doing strange things to my brain-pregnancy that is :lol: ) xx
  • Yeah it was toys in the age range. But you said you wanted wooden ones, so I got what you were referring to. ;\) xx
  • Ahh, I'm glad you've posted this honeyPops - you ladies have given me some great ideas!

Isn't it awkward though with our little ones having Christmas and birthdays so close together?!

I've just started compiling a list (which I'm sure will now grow and grow!)

But so far I've come up with:
    Thomas rocker
    Smart Trike (as most of you!)
    Jigsaws
    Ball Pit
    Bath toys
    Clothes
    Pyjamas

This is only after a couple of mins of thinking - I'm sure more will come to me.

I'm hoping people will ask me what we want, honeyPops. Our house is far too small for lots of unwanted/ not needed things (without that meaning to sound too harsh). At least if we can give people a couple of options, they can still 'choose' the gift and we get something that we want for T - reading that back, it sounds like I'm ungrateful for surprises and honestly I'm not!!!

Off now to look for more ideas...

BB xx
  • we've got baby anambells brother and an ELC teaset xx
  • I made LO an Amazon wish list (you can put stuff on it from anywhere, not just Amazon) and when people ask me I just direct them there.

It's got loads of books and then everything I want to get her for Christmas and Birthday.

When she has her birthday party I'd really only like people to give her books, she's already got plenty of toys and will have more by then! I was thinking of writing this on the invitations...

'Your presence is the only present I need, but if you really insist on bringing a gift and are in need of some inspiration I'd love a book to add to my collection.'

With a link to her wish list.

What do you think?

I absolutely hate it when people buy gifts and waste their money. She has been given some clothes in the past which I would never choose and didn't like to dress her in and I felt so guilty that these lovely thoughtful people had bought her a present that wasn't being worn.

When I'm buying presents I want to make sure that I'm buying something that is actually wanted so I would really appreciate having a list to choose from, especially for children.

But, I don't like to be presumptuous so I'm only telling the people that ask about the list - I think most people will.

B x