Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Jan 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep

Hi ladies

Just wondering approx how many hours over 24 your baby sleeps? And how is that spread out?

I read that at this age (6/7 months) they should be sleeping about 14 hours a day.

I always seem to read about babies sleeping11 or 12 hours at night and then having 2 naps a day either an hour or two long...but Lyvi doesn't do this - she sleeps about 9 hours at night and then has a total of 3 naps during the day (until recently it was 4), which probably do bring her up to around the 14 hours over 24. Just wondering if anyone elses baby does this?

I don't think it's a problem - we've always just followed her lead - but I'm just interested really!

Love NN xx

Replies

• Hey NN, Emilie sleeps about 11 hours at night then 3-4 hours in the day split over 2 or 3 naps depending on the day. So I guess that's 14 or 15 in total. x x
  • Lizzie loves her sleep now which is completely different from 2 monbths ago when she would only nap for 15mins tops about tewice a day!
    now she is asleep now and ill feed her last bottle at 8pm (we are working towards 7:30 and have got it back from 9:30 to 8 so far!!) and then she will sleep til 7am so almost 11 hours straight + the hour and half before her last bottle and also 2 naps in the day each of about an hour (sometimes an hour and half in morning nap)
    so she sleeps about 14 or 14 and half hours in 24 hours.
    Lizzies nap routine is sometime like this
    7am-wake up
    9:30-nap (up until 11 sometimes only til 10:30)
    1pm nap for 1 hour, never longer at this time
    then she falls asleep about 6:30
    wake her for last bottle at 8pm in bed by 8:15 trhought til 7am

hows is Lyvi's nap routine? x
  • At the moment Cam is sleeping from 6.30pm to 6.00am so that's 11.5hrs. Then in the daytime it can vary massively. He has three naps around the same time everyday but sometimes he'll sleep for 1.5hrs at a time and others days only up to 30 minutes! So today he's had about 1 3/4 hrs sleep i think in total but yesterday he must have had about 4 hours in the day. Doesn't seem to affect his night sleeping but i wish he's be more consistent sometimes! image x
  • James goes to bed about 7.30/8.00 and sleeps until a feed around 6.00, then I encourage him to sleep from about 6.30-8.00/8.30 if I can. During the day he's still only napping for half an hour 3 or 4 times a day. So in total probably has almost the 14 hours. He does get grumpy in between naps, and wakes from some with all the signs of being tired. But I'm hoping he'll sort himself out at some point. xx
  • Hannah sleeps 12 hrs at night - 6:30pm till 6:30am then has 2 or three 30-40 min naps at 9:30, 1pm and 3:30. Trying to get her to sleep for an hour+ at 1pm to combine her pm naps but she's not having any of it! So sleeps about 13.5 - 14 hrs.
  • jacob sleep about 11/12 hours a night with 2 or 3 wakings but is quickly settled and 2 naps in the day about an hour each sometimes a little longer x
  • Sasha likes her sleep a lot. She usually goes about 11-12 hrs at night, then has around 3-4 hrs during the day split between 3 naps, so she has on average around 15hrs over 24hrs.
  • Emilia sleeps 12 hour at night with no wakings and then 30 mins in the morning, followed by a 2 to 2 and a half hour nap at lunchtime. so about 14.5 - 15hrs total

HTH xx